A Window into America's Past
Old Louisville Guide
Feedback and discussion 2001
Add your comments

Has Old Louisville reached it's potential?  Please let us know your opinions on the status of our neighborhood.    What, if anything, do you think needs to be changed?  Are there any problems that have not been addressed?  Do you have suggestions for the improvement of Old Louisville?  Do you have suggestions or comments about this web site?   People are listening! Go to our Feedback Form and speak out!

Read earlier feedback:  1999 2000 2001 2002 2003
2004(1) 2004(2) 2005(1) 2005(2) 2005(3) 2005(4) 2005(5) 2006 current

Posted by a Louisville resident
Michael D. Coy
mdkoi@yahoo.com
Sunday, December 23, 2001
03:03 PM

To start with, I am a Vietnam Verteran and was born and raised here in Louisville. I find it appauling that none of our congressmen or women/ leaders of our Great State can assist me in getting my retirement from the US Army. What my country can do Or, or...something like that. Anyway, I was not a draft dodger, I fought for our country and I earned my retirement. However, our leaders are telling me, the US Army are above the law and don't have to follow their own rules and regulations, but their soldiers have to comply and have to abide by rules and regulations. The many years I put in the military as my carreer, and the US Army refuses to grant me my retirement. My family and I have been cheated out of my benefits I worked for and earned. If Ann Northrup or Mitch McConnell's son was in this position, I bet they wouldn't have to go through this mental anguise me and my family are absorbing on a daily basis. I am proof that our government do no care about all of their soldiers. With all the evidence and government officials documents, I am always told, "We need more evidence." I have tried getting lawyers to help me, but they must be smart enough to know that the US Army are allowed to be above the law. Now a days, our government tells us what is right is wrong and what is wrong is right. No matter what, I will remain true and continue to fight for justice for all,,,even if that includes ME!

Posted by an Old Louisville resident
Thursday, November 15, 2001
07:55 PM

Don't get any concrete work done by New Demension Concrete Construction. Owner Steve Smith. He has a add in the Courier, Phone 664-5494. He was paid before the job was done and has not returned to finish it

Posted by a former Old Louisville resident
Thursday, November 08, 2001
07:51 PM

Thank you for this wonderful site. I am a former Old Louisville resident who now lives abroad. We are returing for a visit, and trying to find short term accommodation- your site has been the most organised and easy to use. Keep up the great work!

Posted by a former Old Louisville resident
Monday, November 05, 2001
02:30 PM

A final goodbye to Old Louisville. I spend 3 1/2 years as a resident of Old Louisville. When I first moved there I found the neighborhood rich in architecture. However after my arrival I realized that the architecture is the only thing there. I found most of the neighborhood to contain low income housing. The building owners not caring about the conditions of these historic buildings nor the street front appearance. The longer I lived there the more I wanted to escape from such a dirty area. I have visited many historic areas throughout the country and have seen first hand that Old Louisville has a lot to learn from other districts. So, as we carried the last boxes out the front door and loaded them on to the truck I thought we would feel sad but it was quite the opposite, more of a relief to be leaving such a depressed area. I just hope that some day Old Louisville will wake up from their big sleep and show pride in what our ancestors passed down through the centuries. Maybe someday we will re-visit the neighborhood, but we have found that Old Louisville is no place to call home.

A lot of good points here, though whether the area seems depressed depends a lot on where in Old Louisville you lived.  Many areas are as affluent as any in the city, and the whole area seems to improve year by year.
A big problem is the large number of absentee landlords that still hold many of the buildings in some areas of the district.  The explosion in property values over the past few years and the resultant tax increases have forced many sales and conversions to single family homes.  The trend continues.
----webmaster

Posted by a visitor to Old Louisville
Victoria Braamse
vlb2028@aol.com
Tuesday, October 09, 2001
06:06 PM

My Grandmother purchased a house in Belgravia court facing Fourth St. It is referred to as the Chateauesque Mansion in the late 1930's or early 40's. I spent many summers there and truly love that old house. I would like to find some history about the house. Can someone point me in the right direction to look. Thank you C

The house was built in1897, its earliest occupant we know of was Dr. William Wathen, renter, physician, distiller, University of Louisville Professor.
----webmaster

Posted by a former Old Louisville resident
Earl
Prop421@aol.com
Wednesday, August 29, 2001
05:36 PM

Thank you so much for a walk down memory lane.I was born in Louisville and lived in and around Old louisville most of my early years there.We live at 802 and 838 south 1st street.We also lived at 117 east Brackenridge.My Mother worked at a little restaurant called The Dinenet Grill in the 800 block of 1st. At 1st. & Brackenridge was Davis drug store. Also on that corner was a small service station and a liquor store.The small building of the service station is there today.There was an A & P food story at 842 south 1st. One block north on the corner were two bars.We also lived in the 900 block of 1st. and two places in the 900 bolck of 2nd. I went to school from the 1st grade to the 6th at Victor H Engerhard when it was on Kentucky street. We ran the streets day and night never fearing anything. I would'nt do that now. That was all 50 yeary ago. I wish we had taken more pictures back then as most of the places I lived have a long time goin. I know most of what I speak of is just north of what is now called Old Louisville , but I remember it well. I would like to see some pictures of the things I spoke of if possable .Thanks agen.

Thanks for the memories.  We'll be on the lookout for pictures.
----webmaster

Posted by a former Old Louisville resident
Ann Waite Maddux
annmaddux@aol.com
Sunday, August 19, 2001
12:58 PM

My grandparents, Cora and Cy Waite, lived on Garvin Place from 1908 until after WW II and I both lived in and visited their house in the 1940s. In October (2001) my daughters (sans husbands and children) and I are planning a trip to Louisville (we live in Virginia and New Hampshire)so that I can show lovely Louisville to them. Their late father, John Maddux, and I moved from Louisville in 1960. We hope to stay at one of the Old Louisville B&Bs; however, I am concerned about our safety when parking at night. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which of the B&Bs could accommodate a need for safety and closeby parking? We are all looking forward to our trip...Old Louisville, Cherokee Park, Louisville Stoneware, the site where KT's stood (our favorite watering hole), and of course the more conventional places one visits when there. I have been a visitor to the great Web sites of Old Louisville---thanks to everyone who contributes. It's fun to visit this way, also! Ann Waite Maddux

We hear of few problems with overnight parking.  Prudence is recommended, as anywhere.  Don't leave exposed valuables sitting on the seats, etc.  Some B&Bs offer locked or garage (carriage house) parking if requested.  Email the individual B&B for more information.
----webmaster

Posted by a former Old Louisville resident
Nineveh@home.com
Saturday, August 18, 2001
09:34 PM

I'm looking for information on the now defunct Luau Restaurant, which moved from Standiford Field to 4th and Industry and then closed.

Posted by a Louisville resident
Saturday, August 04, 2001
11:16 AM

Your section on the demolition of classic Louisville is darkly thought-provoking. Dead Louisville was Epic. But not only Epic: Epic and Every Day People --that shot of Market Street lined, without gap, with tiny shops and eateries speaks volumes. These stores were owned by families who lived intown, who came to run their business every day, and did there share to make intown a community. Stores like these were everywhere, literally, and sustained families and the community through generations. ( As late as 1977, there was a book store on Chestnut being run by a woman whose father had opened shop at that location in 1938. She was a teenager helping run the family business in the years just before the war; it goes without saying that she witnessed the decline and disappearance of a way of life in the course of the next 40 years. That store, her home nearby, and the block-long row of brick dwellings across the street from that bookstore were all razed by the city in 1976-77. Although development of medical complexes has on that block has spread slowly east, toward Clay, much of the area was and still is parking lots 25 years later.) As someone who works intown every week day, I guess the contrast between the character of past and present-day merchantilism in Louisville has become a theme with me. Go to lunch downtown, and you will see that most of the restaurants now are chains administered by college age kids, few of whom are happy to be where they are, and so, most of whom are not very good at what they are doing. The only other category of restaurant is the attitude-rich upscale spot aimed at the audience of well-paid intown professionals who are basically captive in the canyons of concrete every day until 5pm. These spots are, as a group, overpriced purveyors of halfway decent food (and sometimes not) owned by venture capitalists who demand nearly punitive returns on their investment. Am I alone in not really being happy with either choice? But of course, it isn't just about the food. It is about what Louisville has become. We were once the 12th largest major U.S. city? This isn't so surprising, but being reminded of it is like being slapped. I actually felt shame as I read your comments on local tax, labor and political disputes driving these employers away. I remember all my aunts and uncles working at P. Lorillard, International Harvester, GE, Brown & Williamson, Reynolds Aluminum, Dupont, Ford, et al, and living like kings and queens. Often with minimal education themselves, they were able to live in great houses, raise families, and send them all to college when the time came. This is all but gone, and we are much poorer for it. A few years ago I read in a magazine that Charleston, South Carolina had boomed in the 20s, sustained itself through the depression, and resurged briefly during and just after WWII, but that it ultimately met the fate of many cities of it's size. I think the same thing has happened to Louisville --namely, the conversion of what was once a city proper into a sprawling suburban tract.

Posted by a visitor to Old Louisville
Thursday, June 28, 2001
01:03 PM

I've spent two days looking on line for information about Louisville. Your site is where I should have started! From the information to the links, you cover it all. Thanks!

Appreciate that!
----webmaster

Posted by an Old Louisville resident
FRANK R. FULTZ
FJJDFULT@aol.com
4/1/01

GREW UP IN THE PORTLAND COMMUNITY. FIND YOUR WEBSITE TO BE ONE OF THE VERY BEST. ON MY NEXT SEVERAL VISITS WILL COVER ALL OF YOUR LISTED WALKING TOURS. PLEASE CONTINUE YOUR EXCELLENT WORK. YOU DO LOUISVILLE PROUD1

Posted by a former Old Louisville resident
Ann Curtis
anntikk@aol.com
3/3/01

Tell us more about the "Central Park Master Plan" mentioned in the Old Louisville Guide link. I tried to find reference to it in the Courier Journal's 1/17/01 online issue, but couldn't. Sounds interesting!

martinjay@earthlink.net
1/14/01

Outstanding site. I had a former co-worker from there, and was curious to see just how big the city was. You are an example of a best practice for all, and though I have no ties there nor have ever been there, your city and former residents should be grateful to the fine work you have done. If I was going to put up a site like this, I would definetely hire the people who did this. Best wishes, and just to let you know how impressed someone who stumbled upon it was.

James L. Johnson (Keon)
abbysenia@hotmail.com
1/10/01

The site gets better everytime I see. I'm a former resident of the City of Louisville who left in the 80's as a child. Interestingly, enough the foundness of the city hasn't left me after all these years. Why? I don't know.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I enjoy the site and it seems to be improving. I'm just wondering when are the rates going to go up!?:) Here in Atlanta apartment in a similiar neighborhood (Peidmont Park/Midtown) would rent for $800.00+ one bedroom and you might not even have laundry facilities yet alone a personal washer/dryer.

I've been thinking about one day moving back home and Old Louisville is high on list of possibly neighborhoods:)

Suggestions on making the neighborhood better.. 1. More resturants/ Patronize them!:) 2. More festivals. 3. Bike lane(but that's for the city to do:)

Website 1. More picture of these for rent apartments:) You people need to show us what we're missing. 2. A search for apartments that will allow people to enter what they're looking for.

Posted by a worker in Old Louisville
Lacy Shay's Cafe'
1/4/01

We would like to welcome everyone to our "Grand Opening" January 8, 2001. We will be opening at 7a.m. We look forward to meeting everyone and being part of this great neighborhood. Come try our great deli fares and coffees! We look forward to working with the area businesses and to compliment the area.

Posted by a Louisville resident
HScottRei2@aol.com
1/4/01

Hi, we are considering opening a small garden shoppe in Old Louisville and would appreciate any feedback that anyone will provide. We would specialize in unique perennials, annuals, and herbs. We would also provide garden accessories (fountains, etc.) and yard art from hopefully local artisans. We also would offer mulches, potting soils, fertilizers, chemicals, etc. We also will have an experienced garden designer that specializes in courtyard gardens. They will offer design and consulting services that will help enhance the great homes in the area. Please give us some feedback to see if this is a viable option for the Old Louisville area. Thanks

Read earlier feedback:  1999 2000 2001 2002 2003
2004(1) 2004(2) 2005(1) 2005(2) 2005(3) 2005(4) 2005(5) 2006 current

Old Louisville Guide Home Page
Old Louisville National Historic District

Home, Newsletter, News/Press Releases, Old Louisville Business Directory, History, Historic Pictures, Vintage Post Card Views,  Spring, Autumn, TerraServer Images, Maps, Calendar of Events, Walking Tours, Architectural Styles, Architect's Corner, St James Court, Belgravia Court, St. James Art ShowMuseums, Libraries, Literature, Churches, Bed and Breakfast Inns, Restaurants-Taverns, Recipes, Visitors' Page, Resources, Old Louisville Places, Our Lost Landmarks, Old Louisville, the Way it Was, Louisville Links, Feedback
information@oldlouisville.com

Google
Search WWW Search oldlouisville.com

(there are now over 1300 web pages on OldLouisville.com)
Click here for a comprehensive search of all 2800+ web pages on this server