A Window into America's Past
Old Louisville Guide
Feedback and discussion (2002)
Add your comments

Has Old Louisville reached it's potential?  Please let us know your opinions on the status of our neighborhood.    What, if anything, do you think needs to be changed?  Are there any problems that have not been addressed?  Do you have suggestions for the improvement of Old Louisville?  Do you have suggestions or comments about this web site?   People are listening! Go to our Feedback Form and speak out!

Read earlier feedback:  1999 2000 2001 2002 2003
2004(1) 2004(2) 2005(1) 2005(2) 2005(3) 2005(4) 2005(5) 2006 current

wadia
wadia1@hotmail.com
Thursday, December 12, 2002
02:06 PM

I have a question that I have wanted to ask yall. I know that they have colleges for LPN'S to go to. Do they have any techinal schools for LPN to go to in lousivliie, KY.

Posted by a visitor to Old Louisville
Darrell
campetal@aol.com
Tuesday, December 10, 2002
07:01 PM

My wife and I were planning to soon buy a Victorian in Old Louisville before I retire, but after Bobby's comments re ancient zoning & check cashing businesses dominating the landscape, I now question our plans. I would appreciate hearing from residents just how neighborly the neighbors tend to be and how zoning changes are being instrumented to eliminate 'grandfathered' crime magnets & eye sores. However, if the Downtown neighbors aren't neighborly and merely point wagging crooked fingers at change, any change, then, perhaps, Downtowners should rethink what Downtowners want for themselves and their city during this century. Please advise, before I buy. A Male & Speed Alum

Bobby
Monday, December 02, 2002
11:22 AM

Copied from your site: "zoning While it makes sense to enact laws that protect residential areas from the encroachment of heavy industry, warehouses and the like, it doesn't seem so logical to make it necessarily illegal for people to live where they work and shop and seek entertainment. There are several attractive Victorian corner commercial structures in Old Louisville that cannot be used for shops or restaurants (nor residences, thus are boarded up), because the area has been "down-zoned." It's not universal, however, because of "grandfathering." (Just marvel at some some of our trendy check-cashing parlors.) Cities first developed to centralize living for the convenience of all. From home, shopping was nearly always within walking distance, as well as employment. Sometimes, a person could live in the upper floor of a commercial building, have a workshop or do light manufacturing in the rear, and a had storefront to sell the product. The disruption of this balance by arbitrary and poorly thought out zoning laws eliminated the advantages of city life." --- Well said! Thanks for "down-zoning" and excluding greek life from the neighborhood in which we work, get educated, and seek entertainment! Rather than forge a symbiotic living arrangement, your path of zenophobia will ultimately do more harm than good to your much-hyped ghetto. I welcome the day that Old Louisville is razed to the ground and replaced by beautiful parking lots, crack houses, and paycheck advances. They are all better neighbors than the shrewd, old, and mean people who now hide there!

michealle
caomtw@texas.net
Thursday, November 21, 2002
02:06 PM

Hi to anyone who can offer advice: We are in the process of trying to purchase a house on South First. We fell in love with old Louisville on a trip there. It is a 4 plex and we are meeting resistance to getting a loan for that reason. At least a decent mortgage loan. Does anyone have suggestions about mortgage loans for these fine old homes and what does one do about insurance? Any feedback would be appreciated. We really love the area and the city and want to move there. I am an artist/graphic designer and also would appreciate any suggestions about work in the area. Thanks ya'll

Ed A. Baquerizo
EBaquerizo@aol.com
Monday, November 11, 2002
02:46 PM

I was very impressed with Gary J. Kleier's article "The Vinyl Lie" which appears on the Old Louisville website. I found it to be technically informative and very well written. The article prompted me to contact Mr. Kleier by e-mail regarding the removal of vinyl siding from my home in California and he quickly responded with very useful information. He is clearly knowledgeable about this subject, and must be a credit to your community.

Eddie Keach
hek@henderson.net
Monday, October 21, 2002
06:10 PM

Any information on John E. Adams & Company, Square Grand Pianos possible pre-civil war circa?? Where and when did this company exist. Any addtional information appreciated.

Posted by an Old Louisville resident
Monday, October 07, 2002
12:03 PM

Jasper, I agree that the problem of litter continues, but if that is all you saw, you may have looked but you certainly didn't see. Did you happen to notice that St. Catherine is now two way? Did you happen to see the extensive restorations taking place all over Old Louisville, particularly the multi-family houses being returned to single family? Did you happen to notice that the YMCA shelter houses are closing because they no longer have the clientel to use them? did you happen to notice that you can park nearly anywhere without restriction? If you should happen to return to eat in any of the new restaurants, please be careful because Oak Street will be two way by mid October. And if you ever decide to buy another house in Old Louisville, be prepared for a shock. Property values are climbing faster than anywhere else in the county.

jasper
Thursday, October 03, 2002
02:07 PM

In response to the "Final Good-bye" November 5, 2001. Decided to revisit Old Louisville to see if anything had changed since we have moved from the neighborhood, Our home was at the edge of Central Park, one of the finer and largest homes on the street. I have not seen any major changes or improvements in the area. As we walked the littered and grass covered sidewalks it became more apparent that our moving from the area was one of our better decissions. Old Louisville seems to be the dumping ground for the unemployed, halfway and section 8 housing. I have read most comments from visitors to the area, keeping in mind that having lived there, that before any neighborhood event there is a mad dash of a limited numbers of residents that exhaust themselves cleaning up the sidewalks and streets. The sad thing is that afterwards the litter returns until the next event. Like the St James Court Art Show, we all spend the two prior weeks cleaning the neighborhood as a whole, for what, to have it return a week later and the majority of the financial gain goes to the St James Court Association. So in closing, the Old Louisiville neighborhood is in desprite need of direction and leadership to turn the neighborhood around.

Sunday, September 29, 2002
06:13 PM

What a great job you've done with this site! I was born and grew up in Louisville in Crescent Hill. We moved away when I was in high school but I later moved back and decided to live in Old Louisville. I spent 4 years there and loved it! St. James Ct. art fair, walking in Central Park, going to the Mag bar, just being surrounded by all of those beautiful houses, there's so much to see and do. I'm living in Va. now but still have very fond memories of Old Louisville.

Preetha
Thursday, September 12, 2002
05:51 PM

Excellent, incredibly detailed site!! I really enjoyed seeing the old pictures of some of the homes and streets. And, then to have some areas showing current pictures for comparison was an added bonus. As, I always am curious how it looked then, and how it looks now. Wonderful site. I will be visiting next month, and look forward to exploring the historic district.

Posted by a visitor to Old Louisville
Tom Lintner and Richard Podnar
hoosierkid@connectiva.net
Tuesday, September 10, 2002
01:50 AM

We visited Old Louisville for the first (and hopefully not last!) time over this past Labor Day Weekend. Fell in love with this area of town (a city where there are so many charming neighborhoods!) Wish that our home city of Richmond, Indiana, had the same visioning process as you seem to have there. We own a small cafe on our main street and acquired many good ideas while visiting and touring around Old Louisville. -- Yes, this message would not be complete without a "plug" for the Rocking Horse Manor, too. Undoubtedly THE PLACE to stay in Old Louisville! The place is simply delightful, such a relaxing atmosphere. The food was extraordinary and the wealth of information and helpful hints which the proprietors provide to the guests is invaluable. Their suggestions for places to go sightseeing, restaurants and eating places to try and shopping tips were right on the mark! We are looking very forward to returning!

Debbie Williams
cardeb@bellsouth.net
Sunday, September 08, 2002
03:28 PM

can anyone tell me if the old Riverview Park the same park as Fountain Ferry Park? If not where was Riverview Park located?

Riverview park was just a short way down the river from Fontaine Ferry.  It was the successor to White City (same location), and was open between about 1911 & 1913 when it went bust, mainly because everyone was going to its competitor, Fontaine Ferry.  Fontaine Ferry opened in 1905.

Posted by a Louisville resident
John Kennedy
jkennedy@lpts.edu
Wednesday, September 04, 2002
09:20 AM

Thank you so much for the reply in regards to the Norton's. I am a student at Louisville Presbyterian Seminary and Student Pastor at Fourth Avenue United Methodist Church serving with Dr Charles Brockwell. I have asked many places and searched the Net and have not been able to find much biographical information on the Norton Family. Because of my involvement with Fourth Avenue I have a new interest in Old Louisville and as a seminary student I have seen the Norton name both on the Presbyterian and Baptist Campus and became curious as to the history behind this family. So far no one at either seminary seems to have much biographical data on the Nortons. I know that where the current chapel sits on the Presbyterian campus there used to be a mansion that belonged to Norton and that Norton build Gardencourt for his daughters on the same estate grounds, but I have not been able to find out much other than that. I was also wondering if the mansion at the corner of Alta Vista & Lexington Rd (that the president of Southern Seminary lives in) was that a Norton home as well? Do you know where would be a good place to go to either a website or library to find out more data about Old Louisville its residents, and also the those that moved out to the Alta Vista area? Was the Alta Vise threa the location of the wealthiest of the wealthiest. There is also a huge mansion on a road called "Rostrevor" that runs off of Alta Vista that I was curious about and wanted to research. The gates to the estate read "Rostrevor"

Posted by a Louisville resident
John Kennedy
jkennedy@lpts.edu
Tuesday, September 03, 2002
09:11 PM

WHO WERE THE NORTON'S. SUCH AS OLD NORTON HALL. THE OLD NORTON ESTATE ON ALTA VISTA RD WHERE THE PRESENT PRESNYTERIAN SEMINARY IS. WHO WERE THEY? HOW DID THEY MAKE THEIR MONEY/

You could probably write a book on the Norton's of Louisville.  For our purposes, we'll consider the family patriarch to be George Washington Norton (d. 1889), possibly the wealthiest man in Louisville when he died.  A typical 19th century capitalist, the money mostly came from banking and dry goods.  It was he, a devout Baptist, with the work of his sons that built the Norton Hall on Broadway for the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.  The (slightly) later generations built the Gardencourt estate on Alta Vista.   That was bequeathed in 1947 to the University of Louisville which kept its music school there until sold to the Presbyterian seminary which restored the old mansion.  The Norton's continued as "movers and shakers" of the community until present times.   In the 1930s, the family got into broadcasting and started the WAVE radio station, which continues today as radio and as the NBC affiliate in local television.  That is all to distinguish from the Norton of the Norton Infirmary (1886), the first protestant hospital in the city with its School of Nursing (Kentucky's first), which began here in "Old Louisville" at the corner of 3rd & Oak and was named for a local Episcopal priest known for his philanthropy.

Jean Shoemaker
Ejed7@aol.com
Sunday, August 25, 2002
05:49 PM

I love your site.As a small child I lived at 1700 south 3rd st and would to see a picture of it.A Ethel Dupont had a house in St. James Court and I lived in one of her apts. woul also love to see that house.Went to cochran Elementary school and hope some of my childhood friends see this and respond.

Posted by a Louisville resident
Ann Stewart
Sunday, August 18, 2002
08:52 PM

What a wonderful site! I'm a "convert", moved here more than 50 years ago and fell in love with the whole city. My great aunt lived on East Ormsby from about 1902 until 1970 or so. I attended LGHS and UL. Really enjoy visiting "Old Louisville" over and over again, but did you realize that UL wants to demolish all those wonderful old houses on Confederate Place?? Let's not wait until the wrecking ball appears. Do your part to preserve and protect what is now known as "Greek Row". The groups who now maintain those old houses may not want to remain in them, but that's no reason to destroy them.

Posted by a visitor to Old Louisville
donna
bluepeace0308@aol.com
Wednesday, August 14, 2002
02:28 PM

i spent time in the summers of the late 40's and early 50's with my great aunt who lived at 1473 st james court...i have pictures from that era...i didn't know it was called the pink palace, but i remember exploring it and thinking it was a castle...i played with a friend who lived on belgravia court...i loved central park and all the beautiful scenes around that neighborhood, ..and i loved the smell and feel of riding the city buses for shopping downtown and the treat of visiting fountain ferry park............thanks for the stroll down memory lane...

Posted by a Louisville resident
Jeff H
jlhudg23@yahoo.com
Monday, August 12, 2002
11:55 PM

Oh, my God! Thank you, THANK YOU, T-H-A-N-K Y-O-U ! ! ! This is such a WONDERFUL resource for old photos of the grandest part of this truly grand old city, Louisville. I've driven these streets for years, looking at the often sadly neglected architecture from another era. Now, I can see how these once resplendent domiciles were meant to be. Please see if you can acquire more photos of the 1937 flood, or if you could add pictures of the Old Louisville Eclipse Baseball team (played in a field where Central Park now sits, in the 1860s and '70s). If anyone knows of a resource for photos of the team, please email me.

Friday, August 02, 2002
12:10 PM

I lived in Old Louisville during college (early 90's) and am thrilled to see how much has changed even for the better in the last 10 years. I would like to thank you for speaking out on the issues of urban "renewal" and destuction and how they have destroyed and will continue to decimate our city w/out constant monitoring on the part of concerned residents. Indeed, what WOULD Paris look like if they shared our cultural mentality of destruction=good? I am currently in the Highlands and developers are trying to destroy old homes to put up a new high rise condo structure. When does the madness stop? Now, if only there was a way to integrate more storefornt buisness and restuarants (along the lines of the Third Ave Cafe, NOT check cashing stores), things would really get rolling! Keep up the good fight!

Bob
SX8452@aol.com
Tuesday, July 23, 2002
03:23 PM

Thank you so much for for the work you have done on this sight. I'm sure it is a labor of love & it shows. I would like to know if anyone knows what was on the south east corner of 6th & Main before it became a parking lot. The building that was there was torn down around 1955. I lived in that building in 1951 when I was 7 years old.

Randy Whelan
slyman86@hotmail.com
Monday, July 22, 2002
04:58 AM

I am looking for any information on a business that use to exist in downtown Louisville. The name of this business was ( Breeden & Bradly). It's location was on first street between main and the river. There is a street named Breeden near there. I can not find any information on the business. I have a fireplace mantel that was purchased from and possibly made by this company. The only reason I know the location is that it is printed on the back of the mantel with the Logo. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

Jonathan Clough
cedars@mullum.com.au
Friday, July 19, 2002
09:22 PM

Dear Sir/Madam I am very keen on getting a Glace Orange recipe, was thrilled to find your link, only to find that it was not active. I appreciate that I am being impertinent but would you be able to email me the recipe, I would be most grateful yours Jonathan Clough

skrauss@integrity.com
Monday, July 01, 2002
04:36 PM

I am a relative of Alice Hegan Rice (my grandmother's aunt), and am interested in finding out about her former house at 1444 St.James Court. I'd love to see a picture or at least have a description of its type of architecture. Any info would be appreciated.(Current owner,etc.) I love the website and seeing what Louisville was like, even though the destruction of those grand old places is heartbreaking.

1444a.jpg (45531 bytes)   1444c.jpg (35686 bytes)
A couple of quick snaps for you, taken today
also see a (provisional) timeline for the house 1895-1933 and our
page on Old Louisville and Literature
--webmaster

Posted by a visitor to Old Louisville
Andy
Tuesday, June 18, 2002
11:39 AM

You need info and links to Clark stuff. I looked around for about 30 mins and didn't see any. I would think Clark Historical sites would be on your main page in big bold letters.

Would love to be able to cover everything!  So far, we're focusing on the Old Louisville district, straying from that only at whim
--webmaster

Posted by a visitor to Old Louisville
Tuesday, June 18, 2002
12:37 AM

We visited Louisville a couple of times in the past 6 months trying to decide if we wanted to relocate there. We fell in love with the city and are moving in August. I wanted anyone to know who cares that the Rocking Horse Manor is a fabulous place to stay. It is beautiful, comfy, delicious, and affordable. The owners are so helpful and fun. Just wanted others to know.

Posted by a Louisville resident
John Becker
Thursday, May 23, 2002
10:04 PM

I love old pictures of Louisville. After living here nearly all of my life, it's great to look back and see what I've missed. It is a real shame that none of the old mansions are still around in the Broadway area. There is nothing I love more than to see the old style buildings of the past. Thanks for posting those pictures and stories. I certainly enjoyed it. I wish it could be expanded to show the outer edges of Louisville during those times.

LILLIAN UTTER
EUTTER@AOL.COM
Saturday, May 11, 2002
01:34 PM

LOOKING FOR ANY OF THE SANDER KID, I AM LILLIAN UTTER FROM CHICAGO,ILL'/BETTY AND DONDALD SANDERS.MISS YA ALL

William H. Foley
wfoley2@wmconnect.com
Monday, May 06, 2002
07:13 PM

Just letting you know, I lived at 803 South First Street, near First and College, from about 1935 to 1953. My parents lived on Jacob Street when I was born in 1935, and moved to First Street shortly afterward. They rented the first story of the house from David Smith, who was a sign painter. I attended Victor J. Engelhardt (sp?) Elementary School, Eastern Junior High School (way east on Broadway), and Louisville Male High School at the Brook and Breckenridge Location. I have since lived in Indiana and Texas. There is no 803 South First any more, it was replaced by a highway ramp, along with the old Upholstery shop at 801, and the Welding shop at 805.

Friday, May 03, 2002
08:24 PM

Enjoyed your website. I attended grad school at U of L during 95-96 and spent many evenings walking through Old Louisville and Central Park. I hope to return for a visit this summer and stay at a B&B. Thanks for a nice trip down memory lane.

quietempress@hotmail.com
Friday, May 03, 2002
04:38 AM

I lived in Old Louisville for about 8 years (around floyd and ormsby), I loved it so much..yes it was the poor neighbourhood then..I drive by and see my old house and it is beautifully restored, I'm so glad because I felt so safe there and the cherry banister inside was the most beautiful piece of woodwork and it was a great slide too!! It's nice to see the places coming back to the beauty a child saw all those years ago.

Tunji Oke
scorpio8@dotla.com
Sunday, April 28, 2002
07:55 PM

This is a great website. I lived in a studio aparment between 1987 and 1989 directly accross 3rd street from Masterson's restaurant. On some Sunday mornings, I would sit down to browse the employment classified of the Courier Journal while enjoying Uzo cake and black coffee. Though I was a poor hard-working new college graduate, it was one of the best time of my life. Many people I met lived in old Louisville, I am terrible keeping names and friends, so I have no contact with anyone at all. In any case, the whole neighborhood was beautiful. Most residences were students from Univ. of Louisville, some professionals, lots of new commers, including myself. Presently, I am in Los Angeles, and working on a novel that will include scenes and characters from old Louisville. Perhaps I'll get to visit by the end of the year just to look around. Great to be able to share this.

Tunji Oke
scorpio8@dotla.com
Sunday, April 28, 2002
07:44 PM

Barbie Thurmond
bvkk@alltel.net
Saturday, April 27, 2002
12:43 AM

I am trying to get some information on a old cast iron bell that my father has. It has Belknap 1840 Louisville Ky, No. 1 Yoke written on it . Does anyone know anything about it? Thanks, Barbie

Patricia
Libra1636@aol.com
Thursday, April 25, 2002
05:28 PM

I would like to know how to research the old records ,as my Grandmother was born in Louisville in the late 1800's Her maiden name was Mabel Atkins,her Mother was Verna Holbrookk. I would appreciate any information you can give me.She married Marion Littlefield. Thank you- Libra1636@aol.com

TJR
ellis@triton.net
Tuesday, March 26, 2002
06:05 PM

Can anyone tell me what now stands @ 512 West Broadway Street ?. Thank you,

Tracey Ryan
ellis@triton.net
Thursday, March 21, 2002
01:37 PM

Hello, To be able to keep and maintain the prestige of these beautiful old buildings... My Great Grandmother Margarite "Maggie" Sadler lived in Louisville in roughly August 1923. Would there be anyone out there who may have gotten a picture of her or knew her residence ?

Posted by a visitor to Old Louisville
Cynthia Lewis Reed
uniquejournalist@hotmail.com
Wednesday, January 23, 2002
04:54 AM

We've always made it a priority to stay in Old Louisville B&B's whenever we could for business trips. Living (not born here, thank goodness) in Muncie Indiana, and having studied the destruction of some beautiful buildings to make room for ever so lovely "parking lots" I now understand why a friend of ours who owns a club in the downtown area, (up for renovation after a vicious city gov. fight) calls Muncie, "Muntucky." Lots of Kentucky transplants here, not to mention Jamestown TN. Me? I'm a midlife kid from Madison County and got stuck here after graduating from Ball State. The attitudes are the same when it comes to preserving the beauty of the past. I am in agreement with every last conclusion, not to mention that I've had a few rounds with those of the wrecking ball mentality as a citizen's advocate for preservation. Why can't these people get it? As Joni Mitchell sang, ". . . You don't know what you got, till it's gone (paradise to parking lot.) Don't dare give in to those "special people" who don't have a clue! Cynthia Lewis Reed, freelance political satire writer.

Laurie
lmhetler@home.com
Tuesday, January 15, 2002
09:04 PM

has anyone heard of poor mans pudding? My brother in law wants my sister to make it. Help....

Read earlier feedback:  1999 2000 2001 2002 2003
2004(1) 2004(2) 2005(1) 2005(2) 2005(3) 2005(4) 2005(5) 2006 current

Old Louisville Guide Home Page
Old Louisville National Historic District

Home, Newsletter, News/Press Releases, Old Louisville Business Directory, History, Historic Pictures, Vintage Post Card Views,  Spring, Autumn, TerraServer Images, Maps, Calendar of Events, Walking Tours, Architectural Styles, Architect's Corner, St James Court, Belgravia Court, St. James Art ShowMuseums, Libraries, Literature, Churches, Bed and Breakfast Inns, Restaurants-Taverns, Recipes, Visitors' Page, Resources, Old Louisville Places, Our Lost Landmarks, Old Louisville, the Way it Was, Louisville Links, Feedback
information@oldlouisville.com

Google
Search WWW Search oldlouisville.com

(there are now over 1300 web pages on OldLouisville.com)
Click here for a comprehensive search of all 2800+ web pages on this server