A Window into America's Past
Old Louisville Guide
Feedback and discussion (2004 part 1)
Add your comments

Has Old Louisville reached it's potential?  Please let us know your opinions on the status of our neighborhood.    What, if anything, do you think needs to be changed?  Are there any problems that have not been addressed?  Do you have suggestions for the improvement of Old Louisville?  Do you have suggestions or comments about this web site?   People are listening! Go to our Feedback Form and speak out!

Read earlier feedback:  1999 2000 2001 2002 2003
2004(1) 2004(2) 2005(1) 2005(2) 2005(3) 2005(4) 2005(5) 2006 current

Monday, May 31, 2004

09:17 PM

Rule of thumb. Never pay up front. Lagit people will never ask for that. However many of us in the past learned that the hard way. Best way to be taken is after storm damage.

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

04:06 PM

Beware of T & R Restoration.....Taking money up front in Old Louisville and not finishing jobs anywhere..

Saturday, May 22, 2004

02:44 PM

Want another reason to stay at a B&B in Old Louisville.We are only about 5 min. from http://www.frazierarmsmuseum.org Now open !

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

02:13 PM

What about repairs of sidewalks $450,000.00 Park area at 3rd and Hill bet. 2nd st . and 4rth $250,000.00 . 9th street ext. $10,000,000.00.

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

01:43 PM

I saw that the "Wisteria" is now planted in Central park by the information center. I have a question ! Wisteria cost 9.99 on the internet per plant. My question is. Where did the $5000.00 that was donated for this project go ? For the cables that are holding it up ?

Tuesday, May 18, 2004

10:37 AM

Today is time to vote !

Saturday, May 15, 2004

12:08 AM

Wisteria in Central Park ? What is wisteria ? For those that do not know ! See the website below !

Saturday, May 15, 2004

12:06 AM

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

12:07 PM

Wednesday, May 12, 2004

11:59 AM

Sunday, May 09, 2004

10:53 AM

Yes crime can go anywhere ! I was a customer at Jacobsons while the store was open for many years. I was told by one of their employees that was there at the time. Security at the mall , had found a man in the parking lot with a loaded rifle. All of the employees were told at that time, they would be fired if they said anything about it to anyone. Crime is not just in downtown areas. Crime is swept under the rug in many areas. Thanks to digital cameras and people watching for crime, the myth of crime only in the city is fast fadeing. Today you will find even the people in the burbs have a gun in the house, and mace on their keychain.

Sunday, May 09, 2004

08:13 AM

The truth hurts ! Many ran from the city because of crime and the Negro. In the year 2000 white people made up 87.1% of people in drug rehab in Kentucky. See the website below.

Saturday, May 08, 2004

11:14 PM

Thursday, May 06, 2004

12:35 PM

People in the east end honk their horns so we will see their new car. Because no one else is paying any attention to them ! Too bad people there think more about their cars and houses than their own kids. I saw a lot of kids downtown during Thunder with their parents ! Why is it parents send their kids off to the mall when they are in the east end. Parents downtown are out with their kids on bicycles getting some exercise, while east enders are in the hospital with heart disease, because of lack of .

Thursday, May 06, 2004

11:38 AM

You think downtown is a mean place ????? Try driving in the east end on a weekend ! I tried to go to Best Buy . People were honking their horns at each other, making rude gestures at one another. Try switching lanes to get into the mall ! Will anyone be kind and let you in (i.e.Christian World) ! NO WAY ! They first curse you then they do everything in their power to make sure you end up in another part of town . I take it some of you have never been in an E.R. when a husband has beaten his wife because they can not make that high price house payment. I worked security in an E.R. many years ago. Would you like some pictures ? The little white suburban lie ! She fell down the steps ! Ya! sure she did ! I like Old Louisville. I go there on weekends to get away from the mean people (i.e. suberbanites) !

Wednesday, May 05, 2004

11:30 AM

Solicitor ( sorry ) ! I got caught up in the thought of people that are born to poor people.

Tuesday, May 04, 2004

02:14 PM

Beggers are your problem ? We elect them all the time to run our cities ! Drunks ? Bars will be full of them on weekends. Poor ? Most of us are after our paycheck is gone. Uneducated ? Most of us are if our parents have their way with us. Old Louisville: Thank you for not being the norm. I am not my parents nor do I want to be. Older people I think do as medical science has proven. "Slowly lose their minds". Today we the young are paying for their imaginary world they seem to be living in !

Posted by a visitor to Old Louisville

Monday, May 03, 2004

09:02 PM

Happy Derby 130 Louisville and Old Louisville ! Louisville's downtown can not be as bad as some say if you can get 700,000 there one day , 140,000 on another. All downtowns have a few homeless, drunks, and beggers. Rome did to a few thousand years ago. Jesus too was a poor man and drank some wine. I do not see many of you telling him to go away........I too sometimes get tired of beggers. In the same way sometimes I get tired of sales people in a three piece suit. Even churches are a form of begger , or did we for some reason forget about that basket they pass around ?

Sunday, May 02, 2004

11:58 PM

Why does the City not do more to stop slumlords in Old Louisville ? It has to do with the city, U of L, Old Louisville,and the suberbs all being in competition for tenants . The game is ! TO KEEP PEOPLE STUPID. THE SMART PERSON WINS ! The motive $'s.

Sunday, May 02, 2004

11:06 PM

I have a question ? Why is it such big news when someone dies in a city ? When we so willingly send our children off to war so we can drive to everything in suberbia ???? Today the reason we are sending our children to an early grave is to make sure we can impress thy neighbor . What would Jesus drive ? He would do what some do in places like Old Louisville. He would walk with thy neighbor ! The price to drive in suberbia is to send our children to an early grave. I do not know how people can sleep at night knowing that their kids are dying . Just so they can drive to work !

Sunday, May 02, 2004

09:41 PM

Fact is and stats around the world show that due to ageing population transportation and cost to do business makes it wise to grow downtowns. People forgot as they get older many times the can no longer drive. Thanks to Kentuckys lack of jobs their kids moved off. I live in the downtown area. I am within 10 minutes of a hospital , schools, eateries, and soon a few billion in upgrades. I can even walk to work. Poor people live in the suberbs as well as downtown. Just because you live in a big house and drive a new car in no way means you are wealthy. Fact is most of those people are one payment from the poor house. If you don't believe it ! I guess you forgot the dot com bust. Many were worth millions just a few years ago. Many of the people in downtown that held on to their property are today the wealthy.

Sunday, May 02, 2004

08:37 PM

As a former law enforcement person, I agree that everyone should be aware of dangers in all places they visit. Downtown, or out in the suberbs. Fact is as long as individuals have transportation, crime can go anywhere. I would also like to say . Thanks to computers and digital cameras crime that was swept under the rug in the past just might make the headlines. No matter who or where you are, you cold be a target for crime. To let your guard down in the burbs , downtown or where ever you are is not a good idea. Thanks to education , most travelers are today aware of that.

Sunday, May 02, 2004

05:54 PM

I've been disturbed by the upsurge in violent crime downtown lately. I know the media, whether local or national, feeds our fear by taking a hand full of incidents and going over the top with it. That's what sells. But for a city of Louisville's size (smallish) 8 homicides (or is it more by now?) in the last few weeks, in a fairly circumscribed area, is catastrophic. There are many reasons given for the collapse of downtown. But these latest incidents remind me of the prime reason, going back years: it's a mean place. A place to get away from and stay out of. Ignorance, poverty, easy gun accessibility, lack of respect for the sanctity life=crime=emptying city. These local realities are so unpleasant nobody wants to think about them. Just get to Days or Starbucks or Twice Told, huddle with your friends and put on a happy (oblivious) face and mind. After all, we are one of the country's "most liveable cities." AREN'T WE!? Not just drivebys either. They're horrific. But the savagery of the attack on the homeless man a few weeks ago is shocking even by big city standards. The media put that story behind them with record speed. Why? It may be cutting them too much slack to suggest they glossed it over because they didn't know what to do with it. Dateline or 20/20 would love to get their hooks into something that awful. But what are the breezily chatty blow-dried air personalities on local stations going to do with something this gruesome and sordid? Maybe they didn't want to dwell on its realities themselves; maybe they didn't want their careers associated with it. Worst case scenario, the local media just decided to play it down because it makes our area sound so bad. Whatever the case, I resent the heck out of anything that even begins to smack of a PR cover-up or white-wash. People coming here to visit need to know the kind of stuff that's been going on in Louisville recently. Understand, I am for the local economy, but I am probably for common sense, honesty and getting out the truth more so.

Posted by a visitor to Old Louisville

Bob Powers

rbpowersjr@hotmail.com

Monday, April 26, 2004

07:59 PM

I am planning to visit Louisville at the end of May of this year to do some family research. I have found this website most helpful to prepare me for my trip. I shall be staying at a Bed & Breakfast near Central Park. I anticipate a wonderful stay.

Saturday, April 24, 2004

05:05 PM

I haven't visited this forum for some time, but it is disturbing to read that so many are experiencing problems with their landlords (slum lords) in our beautiful neighborhood. If you are in this category, then my advice is stop renting from these folks and others like them. There are plenty of old louisville apartments that are owned and graciously maintained by local, neighborhood landlords, so do your homework and seek them out. If you are a good tenant, they will appreciate you, and some of you, it seems, would certainly appreciate an involved, responsive landlord. This ain't rocket science folks!

Petersonpophambegone@yahoo.com

Saturday, April 24, 2004

02:02 PM

A couple of months back I spoke about my problems with old Peterson Popham. Just an update.... They STILL haven't fixed my leak. I'm going to terminate the lease though and make a big stink about it. Peterson Popham is a slumlord.

Friday, April 23, 2004

09:44 PM

Jesus died so we all could learn. He was executed because he tried to educate people . He was executed because man in the name of profit would rather we stay ignorant. Today people in Old Louisville are better educated than people of 2.000 years ago. Man again tried to distroy Old Louisville. Looks like education again prevailed ! But only for as long as we continue our path of knowledge , well into the future ! Happy Derby Louisville ! Happy birthday Central Park !

Thursday, April 22, 2004

12:14 PM

If your car is towed the Louisville Police website is http://www.lmpdky.org/ or for other info.

Thursday, April 22, 2004

12:07 PM

This is a notice to everyone in Old Louisville . Notice to everyone from out of town . Be aware of posted no parking areas during events. The city website at http://www.loukymetro.org should have a listing . The city will tow your car if you are parked in noted areas. During thunder cars were towed off of some Old Louisville streets as well as other areas.

Monday, April 19, 2004

01:15 PM

Well I can not agree more! Old Louisville has came a long way from the 1950's . Old Louisville has came a long way in just the last decade. Homes have been restored , most people I know in Old Louisville have been having high speed added to their computers. It took the Kentucky Government 40 + years to finish the 9th street extention to take traffic around Old Louisville. It took oldlouisville.com only since 1998 to get over 600,000 web site hits. It looks to me that it is the Kentucky Government that is keeping Kentucky 100 years behind the rest of the world. Maybe we should all remember that at election time ! There are 4,000,000 people in Kentucky. Not just a few hundred !

Posted by a former Old Louisville resident

Joyce Wood

jw00d01@bellsouth.net

Sunday, April 18, 2004

10:42 AM

As a child I remember playing on the streets in old Louisville. At one time we lived on the west side of Central Park, on So. 6th. It was during the 50's and was not so nice. We lived in the front two rooms of the house, another family lived in the back, and other people lived upstairs. I remember the pink house down the street near St. James Court. These are fond memories for me because even though the homes were not in great shape at the time, I remember pretending they were castles and inside were kings and queens. I even remember looking into front windows from the sidewalk as I played hopscotch and wondering if they were sitting on their thrones. I have moved away from Louisville, years ago. If I had stayed, I am sure that I would have been involved in your organization. I may not have had millions to pour into the effort, but my heart and soul would have been there. I think you have done wonderful things and God Bless you for saving what chunk of history you have. Thank you.

Thursday, April 15, 2004

10:53 PM

Thursday, April 15, 2004

10:37 PM

Do not worry people! Louisville has plenty of places to go after the fireworks. Go to http://www.citysearch.com and look up bars and rest. Go to http:www.digitalcity.com or look up places to go at http://www.oldlouisville.com . If you are from around the world or around the country and you want to have a good time in Louisville the places are posted. With plenty more to come. If you do not want a good time go to Frankfort Kentucky . They are all in bed by 7:00 P.M. and they are not computer literate in that part of the state.

Thursday, April 15, 2004

01:05 PM

Well what can we say. Those hate monger christians took up so much time in Frankfort there is no budget. No money for jobs,no money for schools, no money for tourism. Well I guess all of the families in Old Louisville,Louisville, and the state of Kentucky can say thank you to all those bible wavers. Stupid is as stupid does !

Thursday, April 15, 2004

10:26 AM

It is sad that churches and ministers try to hide reality from us older folk that is why it is so easy to prey on the elderly we think the world is a safe place to be because the church told us God would watch over us the reality is if we are not educated the real world will eat us up like a bunch of vultures but look out people us older folk are also and the internet now and we are not as ignorant as we use to be and if we put our years of life knowledge with our internet knowledge all i can say is look out we are watching us old folk are tired of being scamed by politicians ministers house repair people and the like kind of people we are a bit slow these days but that gives us more time to think about things.

Posted by a worker in Old Louisville

Wednesday, April 14, 2004

07:10 PM

Duhhhhhhh. I have no idea what this subject has to do with Old Louisville. Other than the fact that nuns and priest from the Holy Angels academy on Magnolia Street in Old Louisville use to stop in at what now is the Mag Bar in Old Louisville for a brewsky and lunch . It was a bar at that time too. Why do you think they are in a hurry to leave. They do not want any of the parents to find out.

Wednesday, April 14, 2004

06:42 PM

As a Christian I have to ask a question if I might. After reviewing some of this information I am a little disturbed. In order for Kentucky to have gay bars. City and State government would have to be aware that they exist . Do you mean to tell me that the politicians in Kentucky are giving gay people bars to go to and at the same time telling Christians that they are on the Christians side ?

Wednesday, April 14, 2004

03:05 PM

Fact is outside of Miami Kentucky has some of the best Gay bars in the country...........see if you can find them... Read on people they are at some of the links listed below......................Come out of your closets.............ITS TIME TO PARTY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, April 14, 2004

02:50 PM

While other places around the world are saying Yes to gay travelers. Why is Kentucky being so hateful to gay people. Did the people in Frankfort not know that gay travel is a multi BILLION as in B $$$$$$$$ business. Kentucky is a poor state with not much industry left. It seems is if though th people are anti job. If no one has a job, there is no money to feed a family. The problem is the people that make the rules have a job and a paycheck. For those of us that are laid off by a company that left Kentucky due to ignorant politicians . What can I say. Here we go again. Distroying downtown Louisville's dream of filling hotel rooms with guest from around the world. No one wants to be a tourist in a HATE State !

Posted by a visitor to Old Louisville

Wednesday, April 14, 2004

01:57 PM

Tourism in Kentucky ????? http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/national/8429466.htm?1c

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

12:29 AM

Tonight Frankfort said Yes ! To hate, and No! To a billion dollar tourism industry.

Monday, April 12, 2004

08:57 PM

Many people from around the world come to Old Louisville during Derby. Many will stay at the B&B's. One of the questions being asked is will my cell phone work if I am in Kentucky in the USA . I hope this will help. http://www.telestial.com/aboutgsm.htm

Sunday, April 11, 2004

11:10 AM

Happy Easter Old Louisville ! Jesus said Love thy neighbor as thy self. When I was in Old Louisville on Saturday I saw neighbors talking to one another as they mowed their lawn ,rode on bicycles, or just out walking. Then I had to go to the east end to do some things. I got there to find heavy traffic , people screaming at each other on the street because of the traffic, and drivers were honking their horns at one another in a rage. Well people can say what they want about Old Louisville,but I agree with a previous writer. This Sunday "Easter" of all days people will again go to their own section of town to go to church. White in the east end . Black in the west end. However all of you are safe. The real people that hate will be in Frankfort waving a book called the bible. A book that has the fraze. Love thy neighbor, as thyself.

Tuesday, April 06, 2004

03:26 PM

Quick ref. http://www.thunderoverlouisville.org or go to http://www.citysearch.com or go to http://www.digitalcity.com or go to http://www.belleoflouisville.org

Tuesday, April 06, 2004

03:22 PM

Quick ref......... http://www.thunderoverlouisville.org..........http://www.citysearch.com.........http://www.digitalcity.com.............http://www.belleoflouisville.org

Tuesday, April 06, 2004

03:17 PM

Info.for Old Louisville guest , quick ref. http://www.thunderoverlouisville.org,http://www.citysearch.com,http://www.digitalcity.com,http://www.belleoflouisville.org,be sure to visit our B&B's in Old Louisville at http://www.oldlouisville.com Welcome to Old Louisville!

Saturday, April 03, 2004

12:47 PM

You might find some info. @ http://www.kfw.org/

Genie Potter

potter@aye.net

Saturday, April 03, 2004

11:31 AM

League of Women Voters putting together a WOMEN'S HERITAGE TRAIL MAP of Louisville. We are looking for women who are dead who made contributions to the city that made it better place to live. We are interested in who you would identify for us - can anybody pinpoint old businesses that were once owne by women? Thank you for your help. Genie Potter

Wednesday, March 31, 2004

06:26 PM

Thank You ! Just for your info. people from around the world and around the country that visit this site and Louisville do not get the C/J or Louisville news on their T.V.

Wednesday, March 31, 2004

05:06 PM

Thanks for your note about the KKK. Since I have no TV and can't read a news paper. I now know where to come looking news. Duhhh

Tuesday, March 30, 2004

05:14 PM

This is to notify everyone , the KKK by way of the news has said they will "not "march in Louisville during race day. This is for everyones notice in Old Louisville.

Sunday, March 28, 2004

08:02 PM

To the people I met on the riverfront from Korea on Sunday. I hope you had a safe flight ! Hope you have found this website I told you about. To find info on the Belle of Louisville go to http://www.belleoflouisville.org you can also find information on Louisville at the sites listed below. Hope to see you in Louisville again! Next time hope to see you in Old Louisville!

Friday, March 26, 2004

04:17 PM

For those who come to Louisville and Old Louisville to party !!!!! http://www.thunderoverlouisville.org , http://www.citysearch.com , http://www.oldlouisville.com http://www.neighborhoodlink.com ...... Just some easy sites for all of you that want to come and have some fun.

Tuesday, March 23, 2004

06:53 PM

Just for your info. http://www.religion-cults.com/Secret/Ku-Klux-Klan/kkk.htm

Sunday, March 21, 2004

01:12 PM

Some say the past in Louisville and Kentucky was grand. Was it ??? http://www.ket.org/underground/research/prichard.htm

Saturday, March 20, 2004

10:02 PM

Except for Old Louisville, if you have been gone for awhile, a lot of Louisville has changed. In many ways for the better. Some of us are aware of the past in Louisville. In the past there was a very dark side to Louisville. Many things the general public was not aware of, due to lack of education. Today thanks to Ket and the many films they have brought to the publics attention Louisville is well on its way to being a fun city again. You need to come back and take a walk in places you were never able to as a child. Places rich and poor today enjoy and walk together.

Posted by a former Old Louisville resident

Prop421@aol.com

Saturday, March 20, 2004

08:00 PM

I was born in the old General Hospital on Chestnut St. in Louisville some 60 years ago. Being a poor family we moved often. By the time I was 14 years old we lived in seven places in and around what we now call Old Louisville. When I first found this site on the internet, I came here to read what people had to say about the old days in this area. Some of the articles warmed my heart while others made me sad. But they all brought back memories of a childhood and a place that I loved. Now when I come here most of what see is people trying to sale something or present a political view of one type or another. Maybe this is the way some of you like it, but I liked it better when I could come here and fell like a kid again. I no longer live in Louisville but my heart well be there forever.

Wednesday, March 17, 2004

06:24 PM

Yes. http://www.belleoflouisville.org

Ronnie

watsonchief@sbcglobal.net

Wednesday, March 17, 2004

03:30 PM

can you tell me if Bell Of Louisville have a web page ?

Tuesday, March 16, 2004

07:35 PM

I saw some info. on the KKK on t.v. last night. I have a question ?? The KKK does not care for negros nor Jews. I also saw they have a church and pray to God. Jesus was the son of God. Jesus was also Jewish . Just for everyones information. I am posting this since they might be close to Old Louisville and U of L if they get a permit from the city.

Posted by a visitor to Old Louisville

Monday, March 15, 2004

08:05 PM

A known terrorist organization in the south known as the KLU Klux Klan wants a Permit to be in Louisville during Derby. After 9/11 and what just happened in Spain. This is almost unreal ! This is one for news media around the world........

Sunday, March 14, 2004

10:25 AM

Sunday morning. Everyone is going to go to pray to Jesus. "In their own section of town". North ,South, East , and West. Just the way the KKK wants it. Are you all happy now ? Louisville 100 years ago was known as the gateway to the South. Many years ago there were places in Louisville where slaves stood on their way to be sold to the South. Maybe in the year 2004, Louisville will become the gateway to education . Maybe we need to get a permit and send out an S.O.S. around the world to march from the river front to the track in a march against ignorance and hate. Maybe it is time for all of us to remove the chains that inslaves our minds to inhumanity. Let us all march as one . United as in Our City's theme. We are one nation, free under God. With liberty , justice and freedom from ignorance for all.

Saturday, March 13, 2004

08:55 PM

Hate only creates more hate. http://www.altfrankfurt.com Did we not learn anything from the past ?

Saturday, March 13, 2004

05:38 PM

Do you think the KKK will also get a permit to bring one of these along ? http://www.metaphor.dk/guillotine/Pages/Guillot.html ?

Saturday, March 13, 2004

10:19 AM

100 years ago, Old Louisville was being built. 100 years ago women were told they need not be educated. 100 years ago the negro was thought of as little more than a slave. Today 100 years later women are at high speed on the internet. 100 years later the negro is still being taunted by the KKK . Today lack of education can still take us back 100 years or more. Education is up to all of us. Jesus did not build Rome. People did , Rome also fell do to mans ignorance. Central Park is still here after 100 years. It will only be here 100 more , if we educate the next generation. Or 100 years from now Old Louisville could again be taunted by the wrecking ball and mans ignorance.

Friday, March 12, 2004

07:46 PM

Fact is. if there is a motive for profit. Even your minister will lie to you. Downtown was distroyed in the name of profit. Suberbs were built in the name of profit. Churches are built in the name of profit. People are led into poverty in the name of profit. Why? Because there is no magic. You can do nothing without money. Not even get an education. Fact is the distruction of Old Louisville as well as downtown was a scam. Until some educated people with money came into the picture. Many years ago you could have purchased a house in Old Louisville for $1.00. Some did. Today that same house will cost you $200,000 to $800,000 . Today to buy property in Downtown that was bought up by all those people that scared all of you off to the burbs is worth millions.

Posted by a visitor to Old Louisville

Friday, March 12, 2004

05:32 PM

What does Old Louisville have that the suburbs do not ? Culture, History, Art, a place that looks like Europe, and people with computers at high speed, taking Louisville into the future at the speed of light.............Go get em Old Loui ! Run like the wind of time.

Friday, March 12, 2004

01:07 PM

I want in on this one. I was looking to purchase a new home. What I found was the stone in front of the house was not mortered in, only stacked, the brick was only one brick thick . That would alow moisture to get in back of it. Siding was vinyl, goes with my plastic water pipes. The deck was pressed wood, the joist were glued together wood, the inside wood was also a pressed wood. All for $700,000.00. I could only hope Kentucky has no bad storms. I guess the carpeted floors over plywood is what makes it so great.

Friday, March 12, 2004

10:02 AM

Some say do not go downtown because of the winos ! Jesus drank wine. I hate to say this but I have seen very few from high society turn away a wine tasting. Got any more excuses for not going downtown ? I know parking is a hastle ! Most Americans are overweight because of not enough exercise. Plenty of places in Old Louisville and downtown to walk. In the burbs you drive to everything. In Old Louisville I can walk to the grocery, walk to central park, ride my bicycle downtown, walk to U of L. Walk to eateries. Wow! I even have high speed cable, wi-fi hot spots.......Why did I say I wanted to move to the burbs ???? So I can make a developer rich after my foundation on my new house crumbles ? So I can work for the rest of my natural life to make my house payment that I can not aford. Wow the burbs must be all I was told it would be. I can even walk in circles in the mall on weekends . Yep Old Louisville has its problems. Fact is people in the burbs have a whole lot more. I know ,I lived in the burbs for a long time. Found out it was all fake to get my money. Who care's what I drive ? Does you no good if you die of heart failure from showing off your fancy car too much and not walking a little. Fact is most people are too busy to pay you much attention anyway. If you do not love yourself do not expect strangers to. In Old Louisville people know my name, no matter what I drive. In the burbs they only know you by way of the color of your car. Here you come, there you go ! Driving to all those places that takes you eight hours. Took me less then two. Even had time to talk to my neighbors while I rode my bike.

Wednesday, March 10, 2004

10:51 PM

I find some of this interesting. Since fact is many run from the city to escape reality. The reality is Jesus was not white, and he did not speak English . I think it is fun watching people run to the suberbs , only to pray to a Jesus that would in todays American society would be considered a minority. As far as we know because of where he was born he could have been as brown or black as is any African American today. It's time for all of us to ask ourselves why we run then pray to the same thing or group of people that we seem so desperate to get away from. Get out your globe before you go to church people. You will find the people in downtown Louisville and Old Louisville are the same color as your suburban Jesus.

Wednesday, March 10, 2004

11:38 AM

Wold change to would sorry. To prove my point as to how well the KKK is still honored . After Thunder and Derby is over. See how much traffic is headed for the east end. Each bumper headed in that direction should read we support the KKK and all of their teachings. So much for my church teachings. "Love thy neighbor" ! I am sure that is what will be being said in the burb churches come Sunday morning.

Wednesday, March 10, 2004

11:11 AM

I saw in the paper the KKK was maybe going to try to get a permit to be by U of L during Derby. Do you think that maybe it wold be O.K. since U of L students do not give a d--n about Old Louisville?They take away our parking , then clean out their cars in front of our houses. Old louisville was going to be distroyed by U of L not many years ago. Downtown was being raised in the 40's 50's and 60's to run everybody out. I would think that Louisville would give the KKK an anytime to come by permit . "Besides" white flight still exist in the minds of those today in the run for the burbs. Do you think that maybe this might get a few to turn down their radios as to not attract attention to themselves during the run for the burbs ????????

Monday, March 08, 2004

07:32 PM

For all people that come to Louisville to have a good time during Derby . Find your spot in Downtown Louisville and Old Louisville at http://www.citysearch.com and http://www.oldlouisville.com It's that simple ! Welcome to 21'st century Louisville, Kentucky.

Tuesday, March 02, 2004

07:52 PM

Will this website help people in Old Louisville keep from being a VICTIM ? http://www.ripoffreport.com

Tuesday, March 02, 2004

07:34 PM

Hey everybody ! I thought you all were crazy about Peterson Popham. I came home to find a pipe came apart on my toilet. I tried to get the maintenance people on duty that night on their pager. Guess what ? No where to be found. To all home owners that rent their homes with this guy. The cost of repairs was in the thousands of $$$$$. It's your houses. After this guy gets done you will get to say. WHAT HOUSE ? When you no longer let this guy rent it for you, there is no magic. You have to fix it. If you try to sell it with the damage done. New owners can sue you for any damage cover up.

Tuesday, March 02, 2004

07:00 PM

This is only to help people in Old Louisville , renters mostly. Boycott Rent-A-Center. They are out to give renters and the poor the shaft. All of their products have a very high interest rate. They are stealing renters blind. Read the fine print before you rent anything for your apartment.

Monday, March 01, 2004

06:50 PM

Time for HIGH SPEED INTERNET in Old Louisville ! http://www.matisse.net/files/glossary.html The Race is "ON" !

Posted by a visitor to Old Louisville

G. L. F. de Villiers

devillierg@yahoo.com

Sunday, February 29, 2004

02:54 PM

i believe the second weekend of the jazz and heritage festival falls around the time of the derby. would anyone like to swap houses/apartments for that weekend? our place is on beautiful esplanade avenue in the french quarter (six blocks from the river and the french market). what we do is ride our bikes (easy to rent them here from bicycle michael's, just around the corner) from here down to the fairgrounds where the festival is (maybe 10 minutes) or you can take public transportation (bus or taxi). you can drive, but its just silly to do so as there is no parking other than that on the street to speak of. my email address is devillierg@yahoo.com. you will probably have some questions, but i would prefer to entertain serious inquiries only.

Posted by a worker in Old Louisville

Thursday, February 26, 2004

09:14 AM

Sorry on the last message. the proper spelling is: Professional Property Services 315 W. Oak st. Louisville, Ky. 40203 Office 568-8998 Emergency pgr 587-7787

Posted by a worker in Old Louisville

Proffesional Property Services

HScottrei@aol.com

Thursday, February 26, 2004

09:11 AM

I have read a lot of messages from unhappy tenants in the area. Everyone knows that in an old building whether it is an apartment or a persons home, there will be continual maintenance issues. This is what we learn to accept in order to live in some of these charming buildings. I do agree though that problems should be rectified as quickly as possible. We try our very best to answer all of our calls immedietely. Our reputation with our tenants will show this. The buildings we currently serve, are our own as we have resisted taking on too many contracts that would prevent us from doing our jobs well. We love the area and are targeting this area for our plans. Our office and shop is being built at 315 W. Oak so that we are quick to respond. If anyone is looking for housing, they can call at 568-8998 look for our signs!

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

10:30 PM

I saw a movie about Louisville in the 1940's. It was one of your Kentucky stations that aired it. Facts in the tape showed downtown Louisville was being torn down in the name of discrimination , and in the name of profit in the suberbs. Undereducated people can very easily be brainwashed. The bottom line in keeping people uneducated is profit .......... Today downtowns all over America are on the come back...........Because some of us are not stupid anymore. Kentucky seems to be trying to cut the budget in education again. Lets all arm everyone with a computer........... So no one can brainwash us with ignorance anymore.

What is a charrette ?

Monday, February 23, 2004

09:14 PM

We were asked. What is a charrette ? http://www.charretteinstitute.org/charrette.html

Monday, February 23, 2004

01:51 PM

OAK STREET CHARRETTE Feb. 26-28 Garden Room Cafe in the Spectrum Building, 911 South Brook Street. Join the design group each night at 6:30 p.m. as we help plan a future for the Oak Street corridor.... http://www.oldlouisvillechamber.com/oakstreet

Monday, February 23, 2004

01:07 PM

For all of Old Louisville : There is extra info. for you @ http://www.neighborhoodlink.com Go to zip code 40208.

Monday, February 23, 2004

07:41 AM

Why save places in Old Louisville ???? Because if we do not ......... the next generation will never know of great places around the world. People have learned about great places because they are still there. http://www.howstuffworks.com/papacy.htm

Saturday, February 21, 2004

04:05 PM

What does Old Louisville , Math , and science have in common ? They can all be typed in at http://www.scirus.com . It is a shame that education might be in for a budget cut in Kentucky, but thanks to this website and people in Old Louisville no one will be left behind.......

Friday, February 20, 2004

08:56 AM

If you are working on an old house in Old Louisville , if you are like I was many years ago and had no idea what I was doing , or how something worked . I found a way to learn how things worked at http://www.howstuffworks.com It helped me to fix things by learning how they worked.

Thursday, February 19, 2004

10:42 PM

Where and what is there to do in Louisville if I come to Old Louisville ???? http://www.citysearch.com or http://www.digitalcity.com Old Louisville as well as Louisville are alive at night. For many years it has been a secret..... But not anymore!

Thursday, February 19, 2004

04:45 PM

Hey kids ! Say welcome to the next generation of VICTORIANS . GO BABY GO !!!!!!!

Posted by a former Old Louisville resident

Wednesday, February 18, 2004

05:40 PM

I would like to thank you for your site! I grew up in Louisville. All I can say is, if my parents had educated me more on the good things in Louisville . Instead of bombarding me with religion I might have enjoyed Louisville more. Religion has its place,as well as information about the city that I live in . Math , science, and real world people I think is the answer. Only learning from old books keeps Kentucky from moving into the future and keeps the next generation ,uneager to learn and help to build the CITY of Louisville. Louisville it is time to grow up ! People in the bible did not drive cars, use computers, fly on jets . The world has changed . Thanks to your site, I think change will come.

Monday, February 09, 2004

11:42 PM

Some people ask why more families do not live in Old Louisville. The myth is because the city is a dangerous place. The fact is people that are educated and have a real high paying job, realize kids cost time and money. Today time lost is money lost ! That is why good retailers like Lord and Taylor and Jacobsons went out in St. Mathews. People that like to play high and mighty in the burbs do not have the money to support such places. Downtown Louisville is building in a big way. The burbs do not have cranes in place !

Posted by a former Old Louisville resident

Mike Bradford

mbradford@kservideo1.com

Sunday, February 08, 2004

01:36 PM

My new novel is a murder mystery set in Louisville. Much of the action takes place in Old Louisville. Go to my web site for more information on "Under the Bridge and Back Again" www.kservideo1.com Mike Bradford

Saturday, February 07, 2004

01:51 PM

A note to computer users in Old Louisville. It is good to keep a cell phone to report a crime. Did you know that today you can get a smartphone . You can call in a crime and at the same time read the Old Louisville newsletter. Then E-mail a picture of the crime by way of your camera on your smartphone to the Police department. What is a smartphone ? Go to http://www.pdastreet.com

Posted by a former Old Louisville resident

Steve Magruder

stevenmagruder@yahoo.com

Friday, February 06, 2004

03:54 PM

Greetings. Seeking current/former tenants of apartment manager Mr. Joe Younger in Old Louisville, Germantown and other areas for participation in civil action. Please contact Steve at stevenmagruder@yahoo.com . Thank you.

Tuesday, February 03, 2004

10:51 AM

I think old louisville is perfect the way it is. I love the fact that there are street people and mansions intermingled into a sort of warped utopia. The diversity of the neighborhood is, to me, one of the drawing points of the area, and why I moved here, and why I stayed.

Monday, February 02, 2004

08:55 PM

For all Old Louisville computers Warning ! http://www.microsoft.com/security/

Thursday, January 29, 2004

01:24 PM

If you are tired of slumlords not taking care of you. You will find it is cheaper to pay higher rent in a nicer place then it is to rent a slum apartment with high utilities. Always remember even if your utilities are included you will still have to pay them in higher rent. Nothing is free ! There are plenty of nice apartments in Old Louisville . Do like you do before you buy a car. Kick the tires ! If you need to see how high utilities are for an apartment call L.G.E. Also ask your landlord for a receipt for a bug inspection on your place. If they will not do it you can almost count on having bugs. If you are in a multi unit apartment if one apartment has a bug problem. You will too ! Bugs , rats , and mice are like people . They love to travel.

can't tell all

Wednesday, January 28, 2004

01:06 AM

If you want interesting insights to Popham's operation, talk to their maintenance guys. Some are loose lipped and will tell all. Also, it's easy to track down the actual owners of the property through public records by calling Jefferson County Property Valuation Administration. Call the actual owners and ask them if they even know what's going on. Property managers have two types of clients: Tenants and owners. I can't say more.

Saturday, January 24, 2004

11:55 PM

Got that right ! We rented a house and got a $1000.00 utility bill this month blew me away !

Saturday, January 24, 2004

01:30 PM

Soon , only the wealthy will be able to live in Old Louisville,and slumlords will be forced to fix their property because high rent prices brings in a different customer base. At the rate of increase in property values in Old Louisville , plus the increase in utilities this year. Many will find the cost is more like living in a big city.

Posted by a worker in Old Louisville

Saturday, January 24, 2004

08:27 AM

I have been in property management in Old Louisville for more than a decade. I have seen it all. Bad managers, bad tenants and also the good ones. It is really a tough business with almost no profit. My motivation is that I like the buildings, the history, and the future, and eating peanut butter. The area has improved vastly. So to help you guys out on a few issues here I will tell you several things. First, a licensed plumber or electrian is NOT required(by law) for quite a few repairs. You should carry your own apartment (renters insurance which you can get for $60.00 yearly) insurance policy, no ones insurance covers your property incase of mishap - regardless of fault. With property management companies or anyone, take just a moment more and walk around the building, look at anything and everything, your success and happiness as a renter really depends more on the shape of the building. Be glad when you have to pay a application fee (ask where and how your credit will be checked to verify that it will be checked). Screening tenants is part of the answer to your happiness. It keeps some of the dangerous people away . Try not to get a dog. I learned first hand when I lived in Atlanta, bad idea. I ended up with a bad apartment,but some really great stories. When strolling around at 2 am in this city, or ANY other city , exercise caution, carry a cell phone, be with others. And finally, dont leave anything in your car that would attract trouble.

Friday, January 23, 2004

02:37 PM

As a new resident in Old Louisville, where I have wanted to be for quite some time, I am sorry to report that I took a place from Peterson Popham. It was beautiful inside, but I had no idea what was hiding in the walls. I have moved into a roach infested apartment and have been told that "it takes time to get them out of there." I think the suggestion to start with the Old Louisville Chamber of Commerce is a good one. The area cannot improve if those providing property will not take care of it and their residents. This makes it unlikely that individuals with the means and will to take care of their own properties will want to be in the neighborhood around rundown, unkempt properties.

Thursday, January 22, 2004

10:39 PM

It is the fault of everyone that complains but never go to the meetings when something is or is not done in Old Louisville. Don't blame anyone but yourself !

Thursday, January 22, 2004

02:06 PM

Will there be a new http://www.kroger.com in Old Louisville's future around 7th and Oak ? Some do not want Kroger to have a parking lot in the front of the building. But what if the parking lot faced 7th street ? Old Louisville needs a new grocery now ! Go to the meetings and let everyone know what you the people that live in Old Louisville think. There are 17,000 of you , not 5 or 10 !

Thursday, January 15, 2004

03:33 PM

I see you have a slumlord website now how about a website that you could send in videos of drug activity ,wrecks , and post pictures of drug dealers on the internet and any other thing of that nature if you feel that you are at your wits end trying to get the city to get something done.

Thursday, January 15, 2004

03:26 PM

Use your video equipt. to not only get slumlords. As tall as some of your homes are in Old Louisville , if you taped something such as a drug deal going on . Hey ! There might be a reward in your future.

Wednesday, January 14, 2004

04:38 PM

We have had people from Cinn. visiting the 1400 block of third street in Old Louisville for many years. They live in Newport Kentucky in the Old Section. Thankyou ! Old Louisville looks it's best in the Spring around Derby Time.

Wednesday, January 14, 2004

02:32 PM

I was very impressed with your web-site. I don't know if our area (greater Cincinnati) has anything of the kind but I hope it does. I love old architecture and found the pictures fascinating. I hope to visit Louisville soon and see some of the sites first hand.

petersonpophambegone@yahoo.com

Wednesday, January 14, 2004

08:35 AM

It should read I have NOT dealt with illegal aliens. Sorry.

petersonpophambegone@yahoo.com

Wednesday, January 14, 2004

08:33 AM

For what its worth, I'm my dealings with Peterson Popham maintenance (and there have been many), I have dealt with any illegal aliens (unless you consider Kentucky a foreign country). Most of the accents I deal with are all Kentucky. I've gotten to know some of them all too well, and they generally appear somewhat interested and dealing with the actual problems, although they never actually fix them. The real problem is communicating with the office. One thing I've learned if you leave Greg Popham an angry voice mail, someone actually calls you back! In the past 24 hours, I have made significant progress in my problems. Hoping (not expecting) it continues.

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

04:11 PM

Simple ! If you see a blue for rent sign . RUN !

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

03:38 PM

P.P. gets away with not using Licensed people by doing that kind of work on Sundays. If you want to put on the heat , hang around the buildings marked with a blue sign in front. I would think all of the out of work electricians , plumbers, carpenters would be interested in this. Expecially since illegal aliens are taking over all of these guys jobs. On top of that you have slumlords hiring illegal labor to wire their buildings. But then I guess Americans don't want jobs . If the inspections dept was doing their job a lot of out of work people in Kentucky would be working. I take it the inspection people have steady pay. Or pay off !

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

02:48 PM

I have one !!!!! Catch slumlords in the act of not using licensed plumbers and electricians. All it takes is a camera phone or cam. Send it to this persons website. Nail them in the act. Then if there is a fire or something you can sue them into oblivian !!! All tenants arm yourself with cameras in your apartment so if you are gone you can still catch them and watch from your computer at school or work what they are doing.

petersonpophambegone@yahoo.com

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

02:38 PM

I'm starting one at http://www.geocities.com/petersonpophambegone Also, any suggestions as to ways we can fight back? I have a few ideas of my own, but I want to put as much pressure as possible on these folks. A few general ideas I've thought of: Put some heat on any affiliated organizations. For example, Peterson Popham is part of the Old Louisville Chamber of Commerce. Let them, and all other member organizations know of their practices and put some pressure on them to stop it. If local businesses get mad enough, maybe then slumlords will feel the heat. Any suggestions?

petersonpophambegone@yahoo.com

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

02:28 PM

Send your nominations for Old Louisville Slumlords to petersonpophambegone@yahoo.com

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

12:22 PM

It wold be nice if someone with the ability to make a website could notify all of us poor students about slumlords and who they are so when we come to Kentucky we will not have to go through what some of you have. I would do it but I just moved here and have the same problem with my place. Even have rats and roaches. I have also not yet learned how to make a website. Does anyone else out there know how ? We should have a slumlord website contest ! Call them at their own game.

Tuesday, January 13, 2004

09:52 AM

I'm going to do more than just post my address when I move. I'm going to raise a big stink in every venue possible. My goal is to make all of Kentucky know of Peterson Popham's sleazy practices.

Posted by a former Old Louisville resident

Monday, January 12, 2004

08:09 PM

P.S. After all. You the tenant are the one that put the trash in the street in the first place. Ran down property values with your loud music and partys. Now you say those da_n slumlords. Sort of like sh-tin in your own bed. Then blaming it on the dog. The dog that does not throw trash in the street.

Posted by a former Old Louisville resident

Monday, January 12, 2004

06:52 PM

Tenants in Old Louisville are like non smokers in Kentucky. You have no rights ! You will inhale our filthy air and worship the ground we let you sleep on.......Use the trash in the street as pillow filling.......

Monday, January 12, 2004

06:20 PM

Can I be first ???? 1425 S. Third Street. Presently rented by students. Water from gutters leeks into the basement flooding it. Furnace fills with mud. Toilet on second floor leeks. Cornice on front falling off. Tenants use the back yard as a parking lot, driving all the way up to the back. I stop by from time to time to see if anything has been done about it. I am a former tenant. The answer after over 15 years is "Nope". Has the inspection dept. of the City of Louisville been there. Answer , Yes ,more than 20 times.

Monday, January 12, 2004

06:04 PM

You might not want to now, but if you leave your apartment by P.P. you might want to post the addy so as to let everyone on the internet know not to rent it. If everyone did this , we could run the slumlords out of town. Cause there are a lot of good landlords with good renovated appts. in Old Louisville.

Monday, January 12, 2004

04:51 PM

I live in a Peterson Popham apartment. I have had a leaking ceiling since August 31, 2003. Its now January of 2004. Is that time enough to fix it? My furnace was broken for over a month and its still not completly fixed. Is that time enough? I've had a gas leak which I'm not certain is completly fixed. I've called all of their lines, never to get a response. I've gone and talked to them in person only to be blown off and gotten no response. I've threatened legal action and gotten only enough of a response to keep me from following through. I now plan on following through. Greg Popham is a slumlord.

Read earlier feedback:  1999 2000 2001 2002 2003
2004(1) 2004(2) 2005(1) 2005(2) 2005(3) 2005(4) 2005(5) 2006 current

Old Louisville Guide Home Page
Old Louisville National Historic District

Home, Newsletter, News/Press Releases, Old Louisville Business Directory, History, Historic Pictures, Vintage Post Card Views,  Spring, Autumn, TerraServer Images, Maps, Calendar of Events, Walking Tours, Architectural Styles, Architect's Corner, St James Court, Belgravia Court, St. James Art ShowMuseums, Libraries, Literature, Churches, Bed and Breakfast Inns, Restaurants-Taverns, Recipes, Visitors' Page, Resources, Old Louisville Places, Our Lost Landmarks, Old Louisville, the Way it Was, Louisville Links, Feedback
information@oldlouisville.com

Google
Search WWW Search oldlouisville.com

(there are now over 1300 web pages on OldLouisville.com)
Click here for a comprehensive search of all 2800+ web pages on this server