The Old Louisville Journal

A Monthly Summary of News and Events in Old Louisville
Published by OLIC, Inc., a 501(c)(3) Corporation

Volume 26, Issue 2

February 2004

Jean Crowe and Fifth District Officer Tara Long enjoy themselves at the PIC reception for Michael Heitz. See article below

Melissa Mershon
Speaks at February
PIC Meeting

Melissa Mershon, Director of Metro Louisville Department of Neighborhoods, will be the guest of the Old Louisville Neighborhood Council Property Improvement Committee at its February 12, 2004, meeting.

Ms. Mershon will review the direction of the Neighborhoods Department as related to Old Louisville specifically and to Metro Louisville in general.

The meeting will be held at 7PM in the Old Louisville Information Center.

Guide to Metro Government Available

Copies of The Official Guide to Louisville Metro Government are available at the Old Louisville Information Center.
The booklet is a handy reference to the structure and services of local government. Among other things, it lists names, addresses, phone, and e-mail addresses for government departments, agencies, and officials.

Form Follows Function ....
Architects Plan a Charrette for Oak Street

Local architects will hold a series of meetings with neighborhood leaders and residents from Old Louisville and Smoketown, and Metro Louisville officials at the end of February to discuss ideas and formulate plans to spur the development of the Oak Street commercial corridor from Ninth Street to Preston Street.

Called a charrette, these meetings will encourage idea sharing and solution generation for design challenges on Oak Street, and are intended to involve and engage all interested parties.

The finished product of the charrette will be a report that is non-binding but can become a guideline for development and could possibly be adopted by Metro Louisville government.

Sponsored by the American Institute of Architects, Kentucky Design Assistance Team, the charrette will be held at the Spectrum (the old Male High School on Brook Street) Thursday through Saturday, February 26-28, 2004. The preliminary schedule includes a town meeting on Thursday evening to gather information; a core group planning session during the day on Friday; a brainstorming session on Friday night; and work sessions and closing ceremonies on Saturday. Detailed information is forthcoming.

Members of the Old Louisville Chamber of Commerce and the Old Louisville Neighborhood Council met with John Fischer, Assistant Director of the Louisville Development Authority (LDA) Retail Development Division; Hervil Cherubin, LDA Economic Development Officer; Joe Argabrite, Urban Design Administrator for Louisville Metro Planning and Design Services; and several AIA architects at a planning session at the offices of Luckett & Farley, Inc. on South Third Street on January 22, 2004.

At that meeting, Alan Bird, Chair of the Old Louisville Chamber of Commerce, welcomed the coming charrette, noting that Old Louisville is grossly underserved in terms of retail establishments. Gary Kleier, architect and Old Louisville resident, mentioned that Old Louisville has the largest collection of Victorian architecture in the country and could and should be developed as a tourist attraction with Oak Street as the commercial, civic, and symbolic center of the neighborhood.

John Sistarenik, Chair of the Old Louisville Neighborhood Council, mentioned that the charrette could build on the neighborhood plan developed for the Old Louisville/Limerick Traditional Neighborhood Zoning District, specifically for the Neighborhood Center of the District. Herb Warren, Chair of the Old Louisville Neighborhood Council Zoning and Land Use Committee expressed optimism that the charrette could spur more dynamic retail development along the Oak Street corridor.

New business hours for the
Old Louisville Information Center:

Tuesday - Friday
1pm - 5pm

Letters to the Editor

Dear Editor:

The Louisville Metro Police Department’s Fifth District and the Old Louisville Chamber of Commerce, have put together a special email notification system.

In the event that a situation needs to be brought to the prompt attention of area businesses and residents, we have created a Safety Report list that would provide email notification of important situations in our local community. This is not a discussion list, just a straight email notification.

Only designated individuals at the Fifth District Police Station will be able to send out notices. The idea is once a month there may be a general notice of what we need to be reminded of. For example now in the cold weather not to leave one’s car running with the keys in it... yup it’s happening, and the cars are being driven off.

Also, when the need arises, a Safety Report would come out making businesses and residents aware of abnormal situations that we need to be concerned about, or keep a look out for.

The Old Louisville Chamber of Commerce is glad to sponsor this effort with the Louisville Metro Police Department providing the notifications when necessary.

You can review the guidelines, and sign up for the Safety Report at: If you sign up, your email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Larry Watkins, Major
Louisville Metro Police Department
Fifth District
Alan Bird, President
Old Louisville Chamber of Commerce

PIC Welcomes Michael Heitz
Back to Louisville

Michael Heitz,the new Director of the Louisville Metro Parks and Recreation Department, was the guest of honor at a reception held by the Old Louisville Neighborhood Council Property Improvement Committee (PIC) on January 8, 2004, at the home of Bill Gilbert, Brian Shaw, and Dale Strange on South Third Street.

Mr. Heitz returns to Louisville after many years in Houston, Texas, where his most recent position was manager of parks in that city. Trained as an architect, Mr. Heitz once had his office on the third floor of the Third Street home hosting the reception. He stated that his immediate goals for the park system include proper maintenance of equipment and buildings.

Herb Fink, PIC Chair, has known Mr. Heitz for years and welcomed him back to Louisville. He offered the neighborhood’s help to work with Mr. Heitz in maintaining and improving Central Park. Herb and John Sistarenik have scheduled a February meeting with the new director to specifically discuss how the Old Louisville Information Center’s new Central Park Conservancy Committee can work with Metro Parks.

Tours of the Gilbert/Shaw/Strange home, recently featured on the 2003 Old Louisville Holiday House Tour and still decorated for the season, followed the remarks. A buffet with food prepared by Marjorie Fink and Virginia McCandless and with ice provided by David Norton was enjoyed by all. Lois Tash, PIC recording secretary, was in charge of the attendance sheet and name tags.

Who you gonna call?
Ghost Booster Seeks Stories

Is there a ghost in your attic? If so, please share your story with David Domine, local writer, food critic, and Old Louisville resident, whose upcoming book, Ghosts of Old Louisville, will showcase the colorful history and local lore of America’s largest Victorian neighborhood.
Contact David at or 502-718-2764.

Status Report: 1359 South Third Street

At a public hearing on January 15, 2004, the Louisville Metro Planning Commission postponed a decision concerning an application for a Traditional Neighborhood Zoning District (TNZD) map change from single-and two-family residential to multi-family residential for 1359 South Third Street, formerly the Old Louisville Inn. The Commission wants its staff to have more time to ascertain if the application conforms to the objectives and goals of the Old Louisville/Limerick TNZD.

Greg Mack, the owner, is seeking the map change in order to convert the building and carriage house into six condominiums. Under its current designation, the property is limited to two condos in the main structure and possibly two in the carriage.

The Old Louisville Neighborhood Council Zoning and Land Use Committee (ZALU) had been working on this issue since the spring of 2003, when Mr. Mack had originally applied for the change. Members of ZALU were concerned that a map change could allow up to 11 apartments or units in the 14,000-square-foot mansion due to the fact that a multi-family map designation does not distinguish between rental and non-rental units. The committee also felt the map change would be incompatible with the traditional use of property for single-family and/or duplex homes in the Neighborhood General area of the TNZD. 1359 S. Third was built as a single-family home in 1900 and was last occupied from 1990 to 2001 by Marianne Lesher as a single-family residence with a conditional use as a bed and breakfast.

On January 14, 2003, the owner’s attorney, Robert Riley, informed the OLNC Executive Board that his client was agreeable to a Deed of Restrictions with covenants that would provide Old Louisville neighbor hood organizations a means of assuring that the property could not be developed or used in a way that would be detrimental to the traditional and dominant pattern of development in the Neighborhood General area of the TNZD.

The OLNC Executive Board agreed to conditionally support the requested map change contingent on the recording of a Deed of Restrictions and other terms which are listed below. This remains the position of the Old Louisville Neighborhood Council.

Agreement Regarding Servitudes, Real Covenants, and Binding Elements with Respect to 1359 S. Third Street ( Docket No. 9-67-02)

Being mindful of the exceptional size of the house (a mansion of 14,000 SF), of its lack of occupancy and derelict condition (its interior having been partially gutted), and of a perceived consumer preference and demand for larger condominium homes in Old Louisville, the Old Louisville Neighborhood Council will conditionally support the requested TNZD map change to allow multi-family use of the house at 1359 S. Third Street, expressly contingent upon the following conditions:

The owner shall, prior to receiving Planning Commission approval of the requested map change, and prior to receiving any permits from the Department of Inspections, Permits and Licenses,

  • 1. Grant to the 1300 S. 3rd Street Block Association, Inc. (Association) and The Old Louisville Neighborhood Council, Inc. (Council), or their successor entities, a beneficial interest in and right of enforcement, both jointly and severally, of an equitable servitude and restrictive covenant that shall run with the land in perpetuity for benefit of the grantee Association, the Council, and each individual owner, their successors and assigns, of any condominium unit to be developed in the property.

  • 2. The owner shall make this grant by a Deed of Restriction properly drawn to the satisfaction of the Association and the Council, in accordance with all formalities required for enforceable real covenants and equitable servitudes under Kentucky statutory and common law, properly executed, and will tender this instrument to the President of the Old Louisville Neighborhood Council for recording with the County Clerk to be indexed among the County’s real estate records.

  • 3. The servitude and covenant shall expressly limit development of the property at 1359 S. Third St. (both principal structure and carriage house) to no more than six residential condominium units, at least one of which must be a minimum of 2,250 finished square feet of livable area, and the remaining five of which may not be less than 2,000 finished square feet of livable area.

  • 4. The servitude and covenant shall require provision of no fewer than five vehicle parking spaces in the ground floor of the carriage house and shall prohibit parking more than one vehicle in the yard area between the buildings.

  • 5. The servitude and covenant shall require that the Master Deed and the individual deed to each condominium unit shall require that unit to be owner-occupied, will prohibit rental of each unit whether with or without a lease, and will prohibit use of each unit for any purpose other than as a dwelling.

  • 6. The Deed of Restriction shall include a provision to the effect that these same servitudes and covenants in toto are to be referenced in the Master Deed and in each individual deed conveying a condominium unit to its buyer. The Deed of Restriction shall also require that each individual deed conveying a condominium unit to its buyer contain similar servitudes and covenants with like effect and grant the owner of each condominium unit a right of enforcement, whether acting severally or jointly with each other or with the Association or Council.

  • 7. The owner must agree to have this requirement of a Deed of Restriction, as well as a copy of the Deed of Restriction, prepared as stipulated above, adopted by the Planning Commission as a binding element, in the event and at such time as binding elements can lawfully be imposed or required by the Commission in connection with a TNZD map change of this nature.

  • 8. The Deed of Restriction as well as the conveyance deeds to the individual condominium units shall include a savings clause stating the intent of the parties that, should any specific provision set out as a covenant or servitude in the Deed of Restriction or conveyance deed be found to be judicially unenforceable either at law or in equity, all remaining servitudes and covenants shall retain their full force, effect, and shall remain enforceable.


PIC Celebrates a Success

The Old Louisville Neighborhood Council Property Improvement Committee met for its January 15, 2004, meeting at 1452 South Brook Street, a frame, two-story residential duplex located just south of Burnett Avenue and immediately adjacent to Juanita’s Burger Boy restaurant. The home has been completely renovated by Old Louisville resident Bruce Cohen and Andy Horvay

The building had been vacant and deteriorating for about 25 years, and its ownership was mired in complications. Approximately six years ago the building was being considered for demolition. However, PIC lobbied against demolition and the County Attorney’s Office eventually secured the property for a Commissioners sale. The property was purchased last year by Mr. Cohen and Mr. Horvay. The owners invited PIC to meet at and tour the building prior to its rental.

Mr. Cohen explained the trials and tribulations involved with the renovation; PIC members praised the end result as they toured the two spacious, airy and bright apartments. Herb Fink, PIC Chair, thanked Mr. Cohen and Mr.Horvay for their efforts and also thanked the following who helped in the salvation of this property: Bill Schreck, Director, Metro Inspections, Permits, and Licenses (IPL), and his staff; Ms. Melissa Barry, Director, Metro Housing, and her staff; the Jefferson County Attorney’s Office.

During the business section of the meeting, Michael Baugh, IPL Code Enforcement Inspector, reported on the status of problem properties currently on the PIC list. After the meeting adjourned, members enjoyed food donated by Downtown New Orleans restaurant, 1157 South Second Street, desserts made and donated by Leah Stewart of the Gallery House Bed And Breakfast, and beverages donated by John Impellizzeri. David Norton donated the ice.

Spring Cleaning is on the Way

Herb Fink reminds everyone that it will soon be time to spruce up Central Park for the spring and summer season. He asks everyone to circle Saturday, April 10, 2004, on their calendars as the date for the Annual Improvement Session in Central Park.

Central Park is 100 years old this year and needs to look especially good for all the celebrations which will take place. More information is forthcoming in March.

FYI: Citizen Alert

The following bill, which would provide tax credits for the rehabilitation of historic structures and which, if passed, would be applicable to Old Louisville, is currently in the Senate Economic Development, Tourism & Labor Committee of the Kentucky General Assembly.
For more information access 

SB 22 - E. Scorsone, G. Neal

AN ACT relating to tax credits for historic property rehabilitation and construction.

Create a new section of KRS Chapter 171 to provide a tax credit for qualified rehabilitation expenses paid to rehabilitate a certified historic structure against the individual income tax, corporate income tax, corporate license tax, public service corporation property tax, or bank franchise tax; define terms; provide that the credit is equal to 30% of the expenses in the case of owner-occupied residential property and 20% in the case of all other property; provide that the maximum amount of the credit is $60,000; provide that the credit may be transferred or assigned with some or no consideration; require the Revenue Cabinet to assess a penalty for disqualifying work; provide that the director of the Kentucky Heritage Council may impose fees for processing applications; allow the Kentucky Heritage Council and the Revenue Cabinet to promulgate administrative regulations; provide that the provisions of this section apply to applications filed on or after January 1, 2005; create a new section of KRS Chapter 171 to allow a tax credit for qualified construction expenses for a certified home; define terms; provide that the credit is equal to 10% of the expenses; provide that the maximum amount of the credit is $20,000; provide that the credit may be transferred or assigned with some or no consideration; require the Revenue Cabinet to assess a penalty for disqualifying work; provide that the director of the Kentucky Heritage Council may impose fees for processing applications; allow the Kentucky Heritage Council and the Revenue Cabinet to promulgate administrative regulations; provide that the provisions of this section apply to applications filed on or after January 1, 2005; create a new section of KRS Chapter 136 to reference the credits permitted in this Act; amend KRS 141.0205 to conform.

Jan 6-introduced in Senate
Jan 9-to Economic Development, Tourism & Labor (S)

Cook’s Corner…
A Valentine Dinner

From Debbie Powers

Shrimp Martinis
Honey Roasted Pork
Lemon Scented Sugar Snap Peas
Oysters Rockefeller Casserole
Raspberry Shortbread
Champagne Shooters
Can it get any better than that? Whether you are celebrating that one true love or gathering with friends and family or merely trying to get dinner on the table, there is something to be said for great food. In a break from the traditional "chocolates and roses" Valentine, why not craft this fabulous dinner?
We begin with the appetizer, Shrimp Martinis. Pull those wonderful martini glasses from the china cabinet and fill them with Napa Cabbage Slaw and top the slaw with coconut battered shrimp and viola…Shrimp Martinis!

Shrimp Martinis
24 unpeeled, large, fresh shrimp (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup soft breadcrumbs
1 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
4 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
Napa Cabbage Slaw (recipe follows)
Lime wedges for garnish
Peel shrimp and devein, if desired (leave the tails on, though) Combine breadcrumbs and coconut. Dip shrimp in egg and then dredge in coconut mixture. Fry shrimp in oil until golden brown over medium-high heat. Drain on paper towels.

Napa Cabbage Slaw
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons lite soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
4 cups shredded napa cabbage
1 large carrot, shredded
1 red bell pepper, cut into very thin strips
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
Whisk together first 3 ingredients in a large bowl. Add cabbage, carrot, and pepper, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
To assemble the martinis, put slaw in bottom of glass and top with three shrimp and a lime wedge. Makes 8 servings.

Follow the appetizer with Honey Roasted Pork
1 (2- to 3-pound) boneless pork loin roast
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons mixed or black peppercorns, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
Garnish: watercress sprigs
Place roast on a lightly greased rack in a shallow, aluminum foil-lined roasting pan. Combine honey and next 4 ingredients; brush half of mixture over roast.
Bake at 325° for 1 hour; brush with remaining honey mixture. Bake 30 more minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion of roast registers 155°. Cover lightly with foil; let stand 10 minutes before slicing

Lemon-Scented Sugar Snap Peas
This can be doubled to serve eight.
2 pounds fresh sugar snap peas
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Cook peas in boiling salted water to cover 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and plunge into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain. (To make ahead, wrap peas in paper towels, and place in a zip-top plastic bag. Seal and chill 8 hours.) Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat; add peas, and sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic and remaining ingredients. Sauté 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated.

Oysters Rockefeller Casserole
1 qt. Raw oysters
1 stick butter
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1 10 oz. Package frozen spinach, thawed
1/4 cup worchestershire sauce
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
Drain oysters; saute celery and onion in butter for 5 minutes. Add parsley, spinach, worchestershire sauce, and breadcrumbs. Grease a shallow casserole. Arrange oysters in the bottom of the dish and cover with spinach mixture. Bake for 40 minutes at 425 degrees.

Raspberry Shortbread
1 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 (10-ounce) jar seedless raspberry jam
1/2 cup powdered sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar at medium speed with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually add flour, beating at low speed until blended. Divide dough into 6 equal portions, and roll each dough portion into a 12-inch-long x 1-inch-wide strip. Place 3 dough strips on each of 2 lightly greased baking sheets.
Make a 1/2-inch-wide x 1/4-inch-deep indentation down center of each strip, using the handle of a wooden spoon. Bake, in 2 batches, at 350° for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and spoon jam into indentations. Bake 5 more minutes or until lightly browned. Whisk together powdered sugar, 3 1/2 tablespoons water, and almond extract; drizzle over warm shortbread. Cut each strip diagonally into 12 (1-inch-wide) slices. Cool in pans on wire racks. Arrange on a serving plate.

Champagne Shooters
1 pint raspberry sorbet
1 bottle champagne (or sparkling wine)
Use a melon baller to make small mini-scoops of the sorbet. Fill a champagne glass 1/3 of the way with the sorbet. Cover and freeze until ready to serve. Fill glass with champagne just before serving. (These are also beautiful when served in cordial glasses)

The Filson Honors
Louisville’s Blues Musical Heritage

The Filson Historical Society will dedicate an evening to blues music and to Louisville’s blues heritage on Friday, February 20, at 7:30 p.m. at the society’s headquarters, 1310 S. Third Street. The event will consist of a concert of blues music performed by the 10th Street Blues Band; a short presentation about the history of blues music in Louisville; an exhibit of blues artifacts, instruments, records and photographs of blues performers; an open bar of beer, wine and soft drinks; and light refreshments. Admission is $25.00. The discounted cost for Filson members is $18. Reservations are required. Call The Filson at (502) 635-5083 for reservations and more information.

The blues is a key part of African-American culture, and Louisville’s blues roots date back to the beginning of the 20th century. Several legendary blues artists called the River City their home, including Sylvester Weaver - the Smoketown resident who recorded the first blues guitar record in 1923 - Bill Gaither and blues queens Sarah Martin, Helen Humes and Edmonia Henderson. A blues singer and guitar player, Gaither received the Combat Infantryman’s Badge for his service during World War II in the Army’s earliest black combat unit in the Pacific theater.

The 10th Street Blues Band has performed at the Kentucky Folk Life Festival in Frankfort and in blues clubs and festivals around the state.

The Filson Historical Society is Kentucky’s oldest and largest independent historical society. Organized May 15, 1884, its mission is to collect, preserve and publish historical material, especially pertaining to Kentucky, the Ohio Valley, and the upper South. The Filson is headquartered in the Ferguson Mansion in Old Louisville and houses a library, a museum, and a special collections department.

Click here for this month's Meeting's Calendar

Please visit our Sponsor's Page!


The Old Louisville Journal is published monthly by the Old Louisville Information Center, Inc. (OLIC), a 501(c)(3) corporation, incorporated in 1984, for the purpose of receiving tax deductible contributions. OLIC is affiliated with the Old Louisville Neighborhood Council (OLNC), a 501 (c) (4) non-profit association incorporated in 1976 to serve as the recognized voice of the Old Louisville Neighborhood.

Submit Journal contributions to the Editor:
Old Louisville Information Center
1340 S. Fourth St., Louisville, KY 40208.
Phone: (502) 635-5244

Advertising rates available upon request.
Please submit “Letters to the Editor” to the above address.
The 15th of each month is deadline for submission of all ads and articles.

Hit Counter




Archived Issues of the Old Louisville Journal on-line:

       >> Current newsletter


Old Louisville Guide Home Page
Old Louisville National Historic District

Home, Newsletter, News/Press Releases, Old Louisville Business Directory, History, Historic Pictures, Vintage Post Card Views,  Spring, Autumn, TerraServer Images, Maps, Calendar of Events, Walking Tours, Architectural Styles, Architect's Corner, St James Court, Belgravia Court, St. James Art ShowMuseums, Libraries, Literature, Churches, Bed and Breakfast Inns, Restaurants-Taverns, Recipes, Visitors' Page, Resources, Old Louisville Places, Our Lost Landmarks, Old Louisville, the Way it Was, Louisville Links, Feedback

Search WWW Search

(there are now over 1300 web pages on
Click here for a comprehensive search of all 2800+ web pages on this server



Old Louisville National Historic Preservation District
America's Victorian Treasure

You are Visitor Number Hit Counter to the Old Louisville Guide since February 1998
We thank you all for coming by!