The prestigious Second Presbyterian Church once stood at the corner of 2nd and Broadway across from the James C. Ford Mansion. It was razed after a fire in 1956. The site has ended up as a parking lot for the Louisville Stouffer Hotel, a generic brick high-rise built on the site of St. Xavier College next door. The area today has no resemblance of its former grandeur.
The Second Presbyterian Church
The sanctuary, after the fire of 1956. The church was built by the prominent minister Stuart Robinson whose mansion still stands in Old Louisville on the northeast corner of 4th and Magnolia.
Broadway at 2nd
the James C. Ford Mansion
Louisville After the Bombings?
ALL HOPE IS NOT LOST
After nearly complete destruction in February 1945 at the end of World War II, see what can
be done to rebuild a historic city center.
Click here to see absolutely amazing photos of the ongoing reconstruction of Dresden
(...reconstruction begun in 2002, and what has Louisville done in that time??)
Dresden 1980s <<nearly same view>> Dresden 2000s
(By the way, although begun as a public project to restore a
world heritage site,
the reconstruction of Dresden has now gotten far enough along that the real estate values have skyrocketed.
Remaining un-reconstructed parcels are going for around $6000 per square yard just for the right to rebuild
historically faithful reproductions of former buildings ...including a palace...on the site. check this out)
Louisville Guide Home Page
Old Louisville Business Directory,
Pictures, Vintage Post Card Views,
Calendar of Events,
Corner, St James Court,
Court, St. James Art Show,
Louisville Places, Our Lost Landmarks,
Old Louisville, the Way it Was,
(there are now over 1300 web
pages on OldLouisville.com)