The James C. Ford Mansion
James C. Ford, owner of extensive cotton plantations in Mississippi, moved to Louisville in 1835. He built his mansion in the 1850s on then elegant and fashionable Broadway. The house was next owned by Western Union Telegraph President Norvin Green. Later, the mansion became the property of the YWCA.
This view is from the1950s.
|The Second Presbyterian Church can be seen in the background. The Ford Mansion was razed to build a savings and loan||
Inside the Ford Mansion
Louisville After the Bombings?
ALL HOPE IS NOT LOST
After nearly complete destruction in February 1945 at the end of World War II, see what can
be done to rebuild a historic city center.
Click here to see absolutely amazing photos of the ongoing reconstruction of Dresden
(...reconstruction begun in 2002, and what has Louisville done in that time??)
Dresden 1980s <<nearly same view>> Dresden 2000s
(By the way, although begun as a public project to restore a
world heritage site,
the reconstruction of Dresden has now gotten far enough along that the real estate values have skyrocketed.
Remaining un-reconstructed parcels are going for around $6000 per square yard just for the right to rebuild
historically faithful reproductions of former buildings ...including a palace...on the site. check this out)
Louisville Guide Home Page
Old Louisville Business Directory,
Pictures, Vintage Post Card Views,
Calendar of Events,
Corner, St James Court,
Court, St. James Art Show,
Louisville Places, Our Lost Landmarks,
Old Louisville, the Way it Was,
(there are now over 1300 web
pages on OldLouisville.com)