The Old Post Office and Customs House
The High Renaissance Revival building was erected between 1885 and 1889 on the site of the Louisville Industrial Exposition Building (1872-82), and was in service barely more than 40 years. A new Post Office and Customs House replaced it in 1933. A source of great pride in the 1890s, it seems that most people of the 1940s were glad to see "the 4th street eyesore" go. This magnificent building stood at the northeast corner of 4th and Chestnut.
Louisville After the Bombings?
ALL HOPE IS NOT LOST
After nearly complete destruction in February 1945 at the end of World War II, see what can
be done to rebuild a historic city center.
Click here to see absolutely amazing photos of the ongoing reconstruction of Dresden
(...reconstruction begun in 2002, and what has Louisville done in that time??)
Dresden 1980s <<nearly same view>> Dresden 2000s
(By the way, although begun as a public project to restore a
world heritage site,
the reconstruction of Dresden has now gotten far enough along that the real estate values have skyrocketed.
Remaining un-reconstructed parcels are going for around $6000 per square yard just for the right to rebuild
historically faithful reproductions of former buildings ...including a palace...on the site. check this out)
Louisville Guide Home Page
Old Louisville Business Directory,
Pictures, Vintage Post Card Views,
Calendar of Events,
Corner, St James Court,
Court, St. James Art Show,
Louisville Places, Our Lost Landmarks,
Old Louisville, the Way it Was,
(there are now over 1300 web
pages on OldLouisville.com)