This rare post card image, mailed in 1911, shows the old St Joseph's Infirmary on 4th Street between Broadway and Chestnut, at the site of the present Palace (formerly Loew's) Theater. St. Joseph's was on 4th Street from the 1850's until 1926, when the Sisters of Charity of Nazareth moved the institution to its new modern 325 bed facility on Eastern Parkway (now also razed except for its chapel, Lourdes Hall).
The image was sent to us from a visitor from Chino, California who will be making a visit to Louisville in the Fall (1998) tracing her roots. As a little girl, she remembers her great aunts, Sisters of Charity, sneaking her inside (the "new") St. Joseph's under their dresses. Any comments about the image above or further history or stories about St. Joseph's would be most welcome. You may E-mail her at:
Old Louisville Guide Home Page
Old Louisville National Historic District
Home, Newsletter, News/Press Releases, Old Louisville Business Directory, History, Historic Pictures, Vintage Post Card Views, Spring, Autumn, TerraServer Images, Maps, Calendar of Events, Walking Tours, Architectural Styles, Architect's Corner, St James Court, Belgravia Court, St. James Art Show, Museums, Libraries, Literature, Churches, Bed and Breakfast Inns, Restaurants-Taverns, Recipes, Visitors' Page, Resources, Old Louisville Places, Our Lost Landmarks, Old Louisville, the Way it Was, Louisville Links, Feedback
(there are now over 1300 web pages on OldLouisville.com)
Click here for a comprehensive search of all 2800+ web pages on this server